Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CALLENDAR PARK, CALLENDAR HOUSE, FACTOR'S HOUSELB46545

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
21/03/1960
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Falkirk
NGR
NS 89684 79526
Coordinates
289684, 679526

Description

Early 19th century; substantial mid and late 19th century additions and alterations. Low 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house with later 2-storey block forming near L-plan at rear; later 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan block to NW with porch in re-entrant angle to front; crenellated addition in re-entrant angle to NE side. Original early 19th century block: lined render; ashlar dressings; base course; corniced eaves; pointed crenellation to parapet; narrow quoin strips; plain margins; architraved hoodmoulds to front. NW block: coursed and droved cream sandstone; ashlar dressings; base course; eaves course; corniced eaves; narrow quoin strips; plain, chamfered margins.

NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: original 3-bay early 19th century block to left with roll-moulded doorpiece centred at ground; blind shield above; stepped hoodmould; single windows in flanking bays. Single window centred in later single storey addition recessed to right with pointed crenellation. 2-storey, 2-bay block to rear with single window at 1st floor to left; single windows at ground and 1st floors to right.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: later 2-storey, 3-bay house with projecting, flat-roofed porch in central re-entrant angle; timber panelled door; roll-moulded surround; shouldered-arched recess. Tripartite window at ground floor in bay recessed to outer right (narrow side-lights); single windows in both bays at 1st floor. Full-height, single bay projection to left of centre with windows centred at both floors. Window centred in single storey, flat-roofed addition recessed to right; 2-storey, crenellated block set behind.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: early 19th century crenellated block recessed to outer right with single storey, flat-roofed addition to front. Plain elevation to 2-storey wing projecting to left. 2-storey, 2-bay wing projecting to outer left with single windows at ground and 1st floors.

Windows blocked. Grey slate piended roofs. Corniced sandstone ridge and wallhead stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: access not obtained, 2004.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group comprises 'Callendar House' (HB 31236), and the associated 'Glenbrae Lodge and Gates' (HB 31235), 'Callendar House, Small Bridge on South Axis of House' (HB 31237), 'Callendar House Sundial' (HB 31238), 'Stable Court, Including Cobbled Yard' (HB 31239), 'Stable Block Including Dovecot, Cobbled Yard, Implement Shed, Boundary Walls and Gates' (HB 46544), 'Dry Bridge' (HB 31240), 'Mausoleum' (HB 31241), 'Atrium House (Former Gardener's Cottage), Including Gatepiers' (HB 50224), 'Kennels' (HB 50894), 'Policy Walls' (HB 50896) and 'Wellhead' (HB 50897), see separate entries.

Empty 1999. An unusual, much extended house, said to have been home to the estate's factor. Originally listed with the stable court, stable blocks, dovecot and implement shed to the SE (items split 1999).

Callendar House and its associated buildings are some of the most significant and prominent buildings in Falkirk. The Lands of Callendar were granted to the Livingston family in the mid 14th century, and they retained possession of the estate for nearly 400 years. The estate was forfeited to the Government after the Jacobite rising in 1715, who in turn sold on the estate. Callendar was bought by William Forbes in the late 18th century, a copper merchant from London, who continued to develop the mansion and the estate. The Forbes family brought architect David Hamilton to work on Callendar, and as benefactors, were also instrumental to the development of Falkirk as a modern 19th century town. The estate remained in the possession of the Forbes family until 1963, when it was sold to the now defunct Falkirk Burgh Council. The Burgh Council were responsible for planning the high-rise housing within Callendar Park, and also the development of the walled garden as a College of Education (now the Callendar Business Park). However they did no work on the House, which remained derelict and boarded-up until 1997, when it was restored by the present Council. Callendar House has been extensively restored and occupied by Falkirk Council, as a tourist attraction, exhibition and conference centre, wedding venue and offices. The Hamilton library now houses the Council's History Research Centre, storing many of the archives and collections of the district. The area of Atrium House and the walled garden has been redeveloped as the Callendar Business Park, replacing the College of Education. The Stable Court and Block continue to be used by the Parks division of the council as stores, with many of these buildings falling into disrepair. The Factor's House is unoccupied and bricked-up, to prevent further vandalism (2004).

The Factor's House lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.

References

Bibliography

CALLENDAR ESTATE PLAN, (1781) [not evident]. J Anderson, PLAN OF CALLENDAR PARK, (1818) [original block evident]. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map, (1859) [original block and rear addition evident]. 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map, (1898) [original block, rear and side additions evident].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CALLENDAR PARK, CALLENDAR HOUSE, FACTOR'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 06:59