Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALLENVALE ROAD, ALLENVALE CEMETERY, INCLUDING LODGE AND JAMES SAINT MONUMENTLB46473

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/09/1999
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 93412 4426
Coordinates
393412, 804426

Description

Circa 1880. Coursed, Aberdeen bond granite rubble walled cemetery to N and S of Allenvale Road.

S CEMETERY

Coursed granite Aberdeen snecked walls with saddleback coping. 2-leaf decorative cast-iron gates, with pedestrian gates to left and right to N, W and E; steps at gateways to S on Riverside Drive. Square-plan gatepiers with squared rough-faced battered base, stop-chamfered shaft, corniced with gableted caps to S cemetery, flanked by saddleback-coped granite ashlar low quadrant walls.

N CEMETERY

Terraced, 3-chambered; tooled coursed granite walls with shallow-pointed coping; 4 decoratively chamfered gatepiers to W, flanked by low coped granite walls, 2-leaf cast-iron gates; square-plan granite ashlar gatepiers with corniced necks and gableted caps to centre and E of S wall, 2-leaf cast-iron gates, walls flanking gatepiers stepped down; boarded timber door between 2 S gates. Low coped E wall stepped up, with cast-iron railings.

LODGE

Dated 1889. Single storey and attic; 3-bay lodge to NW of S Cemetery. Coursed squared rough-faced grey granite, with architraved surrounds. Cill course; long and short quoins; projecting cills to S and E elevations; terracotta finials to apex of gables; timber bargeboards.

N (Entrance) Elevation: asymmetrical; gabled porch advanced to centre, panelled timber door reached by 2 stone steps, letterbox fanlight; pilastered bipartite window to flanking bay to left; tooled datestone reading "1889" to right of doorway, gabled 4-light pilastered canted window to outer right angle, with bull's-eye window set in gablehead.

W Elevation: asymmetrical; 2-bay; window to bay to right, gabled bay to left, with window to attic floor, canted window to outer left angle (see above). Aberdeen bond granite wall extending to outer right forming gateway to outbuilding enclosure, and boundary walls to S of lodge.

S Elevation: asymmetrical; ground floor predominantly obscured by harled, flat-roofed addition; gabled bay to left with window set in gablehead; gableted dormer to right of attic with tripartite window, small modern skylights to attic. Rectangular-plan wing adjoining to outer right angle, S boundary wall meets wing to centre at gableted bay with boarded timber door to right return.

E Elevation: near-symmetrical; 2-bay; gabled; regular fenestration to ground floor; wing advanced out outer left angle, pilastered bipartite window to centre, panelled timber door to right return.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Green-grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge. Corniced granite ashlar wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Interior: not seen 1999.

JAMES SAINT MONUMENT

J B Pirie, 1892. Monument to James Saint adjoining NE wall of S Cemetery. Granite ashlar. Simple plinth base with elongated ionic capital surmounted by inscription panel within decorative concave-shouldered surround, with 2 horizontal bands of scrolls; architraved surround; low block pediment ornamented with anthemion motifs; decorative finial. J B Pirie's monogram to left return, John Morgan's monogram to right return.

Statement of Special Interest

The Allenvale Cemetery over looks the river Dee to the S and the Duthie Park (see separate listings, Duthie Ward) to the E. The elaborate gatepiers with their decorative railings are similar to those at the Duthie Park. The lodge in the S cemetery is grandly detailed. The James Saint Monument is especially interesting and important. It was J B Pirie's last work, and represents a culmination of the variety of decorative motifs he used throughout his bold architectural career. According to his obituary "its execution relieved many an hour of illness, and not improbably the deceased architect may have felt it to be his last work, and so made it his best" (In Memoriam, p177). John Morgan was a builder and property developer in Aberdeen, as well as a close friend and patron of Pirie, so the presence of his monogram suggests his involvement or support in the building of the monument. His monogram also appears with Pirie's on Queen's Cross Church and 50 Queen's Road, both in Aberdeen (see separate listings).

References

Bibliography

Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880); IN MEMORIAM: AN OBITUARY OF ABERDEEN AND VICINITY, (1892), p177; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; A I McConnochie, 50 VIEWS OF THE GRANITE CITY, p49.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALLENVALE ROAD, ALLENVALE CEMETERY, INCLUDING LODGE AND JAMES SAINT MONUMENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 10:28