Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

9-31B (ODD NOS) BARONY STREET, AND 1 AND 2 ALBANY LANE, INCLUDING WALL AND LETTER BOXLB46115

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
31/03/1999
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25784 74531
Coordinates
325784, 674531

Description

Alexander Black, mid 19th century. Predominantly 3-storey and attic, 25-bay terraced tenement; 4-storey at Nos 25-31, 31-bay at ground floor. Broached ashlar sandstone, polished ashlar at ground floor. Base course; band course between ground floor and 1st floor, swept up between Nos 13 and 15; cornice between ground floor and 1st floor at Nos 25-31, returned and terminated at W elevation; projecting cills at 1st and 2nd floor windows; cornice and blocking course at 2nd floor, swept up between Nos 13 and 15, and Nos 19 and 21; cornice at 2nd floor at Nos 25-31, returned and terminated at W elevation; cornice and blocking course at 3rd floor of Nos 25-31, returned and terminated at W elevation.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: irregular disposition of predominantly 4-panel timber doors with plate glass rectangular fanlights; pair of mirrored 2-bay former shop fronts at Nos 25 and 27, comprising 8-panel timber doors flanked by multi-pane windows; 6-panel timber door with plate glass rectangular fanlight in 5th bay from left; 4-bay former shop front to right, with modern timber door and plate glass rectangular fanlight, in 3rd bay from right, windows with blank aprons in remaining 3 bays. Windows in remaining bays at ground floor; regular fenestration to floors above.

E ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (34-40 Broughton Street).

W (1 AND 2 ALBANY LANE) ELEVATION: coursed rubble gable, polished ashlar at ground floor. Window centred at ground floor, window to left of centre in partly-infilled former doorway, infilled windows to outer left and right at ground floor; windows centred at floors above, with pair of small windows, 2-pane to left, plate glass to right, flanking window at 1st floor.

WALL AND LETTER BOX: coped random rubble wall to right of W elevation, with modern timber door in pedestrian gate with chamfered margins, to left; returned at rear elevation. Decorative wall letter box to right of door, with cartouche surrounding mouth, and coat-of-arms design centred below, flanked by pilasters.

REAR ELEVATION: not seen, 1998.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate M-roof. 5 pairs of slate-hung tripartite piended dormers, box dormer between piended dormers at No 9. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped, rendered ridge stacks, corniced, broached ashlar ridge stack, corniced gablehead stacks; with circular cans. Coped skews.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. Feus were offered for the Heriot Trust in 1821, under John Milne. Thomas Bonnar began the street in 1829, Alexander Black continuing after Bonnar's death in 1847.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp340-41.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 9-31B (ODD NOS) BARONY STREET, AND 1 AND 2 ALBANY LANE, INCLUDING WALL AND LETTER BOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:22