Listed Building
The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
4 Arneil Place (former Ainslie Park High School and Telford College), excluding extension wings to the south, Pilton, EdinburghLB45799
Status: Designated
Summary
- Category
- B
- Date Added
- 10/11/1998
- Last Date Amended
- 23/06/2026
- Local Authority
- Edinburgh
- Planning Authority
- Edinburgh
- Burgh
- Edinburgh
- NGR
- NT 22934 76101
- Coordinates
- 322934, 676101
Description
A three-storey and 19-bay former intermediate school in the International Modernist style with Art Deco details, built 1949-50 to designs by James S Johnston of J & F Johnston Partners and latterly in use as a higher education college. It is composed of a central 15-bay block flanked at each end by a bow-fronted staircase tower and an end bay with former boys' (east) and girls' (west) entrances. The building is set back to the south of Pilton Avenue within former school grounds now developed with apartment buildings. Most of the original school buildings were demolished 2007-15 leaving only the north entrance range of the main quadrangle which has been refurbished and extended as residential apartments.
The building has a flat roof with north-light windows, harled brick walling with a brick base course and concrete parapet copes. There is a single-storey entrance centrepiece with a deep parapet displaying a panel of the City of Edinburgh coat of arms and motto 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA'. Recessed beneath the parapet, the main entrance has a concrete architrave and brick surround all set within a glazed screen. It is approached by concrete steps with low curved brick platforms to either side and flanked by curving bays each with windows divided by strip pilasters.
The windows are arranged in horizontal bands with concrete lintel and sill courses, and each bay divided by strip pilasters. The window units were replaced in 2015 but largely retain the original fenestration arrangements. The stair towers rise higher than the rest of the building and each have a tall glass-brick window divided by two concrete mullions on their outer curve. The sills of these windows extend into flat concrete canopies over the entrances in the neighbouring end bays. Above the canopies there are blind walls with a low relief concrete figure on each side: to the east a kilted male figure with a torch inscribed 'KNOWLEDGE' and to the west a female figure with mirror inscribed 'TRUTH'. The entrances beneath have surrounds and steps matching the main entrance.
The respective east and west elevations to the end bays have three bays of windows to each floor. A U-plan extension of apartment blocks abuts the rear (south) elevation of the school building.
The interiors have not been visited (2026) but images from sales particulars in 2025 suggest they have been largely modernised. The cantilevered concrete staircases survive in the two towers.
The former entrance drive to the school from Pilton Avenue now forms the start of Arneil Place and retains two sets of plain brick gate piers linked by harled walling and all with concrete coping.
Historical Background
The layout of the building appears on the National Grid map (surveyed 1946, published c.1948) but it is not shown as completed until the revised edition (revised 1968, published 1969). It was designed in 1938-9 by James Stewart Johnston of J & F Johnston & Partners but construction was delayed by the outbreak of the Second World War. Revisions to the plans were carried out after the war and construction eventually took place from 1949 to 1950. The practice of J & F Johnston & Partners was engaged to make additions to the school in 1967 for a Boy's Vocational Unit.
The school's first headmaster was Norman Murchison, a noted Edinburgh voice on post-war educational matters and later Deputy Director of Education for Midlothian. He was the first Citizen of the Year of the City of Edinburgh, in 1967.
Ainslie Park High School was established as a state secondary school to serve the growing district of Pilton in north Edinburgh which was being developed in the 1930s-50s on the lands surrounding East Pilton Farm. The site of the school was located beside the junction where the Leith and Granton branches of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway divided, immediately beside a curving section of dismantled railway linking the two lines. The area to the north had already been constructed with streets of semi-detached social housing by the time the school was built.
Ainslie Park High School closed in 1991 following a decline in numbers and pressure from the opening of the nearby Craigroyston Community High School in 1963. The building was then occupied by Telford College until 2006 when the college moved to a purpose-built site on West Granton Road (Telford College merged into Edinburgh College in 2012). In 2007-12, many of the ancillary buildings were demolished and the school grounds were developed with residential apartment buildings. In 2015, the gymnasium block and most of the main quadrangle were also demolished. The principal north range of the quadrangle was retained and refurbished with new extensions to the south, including the removal of most of the interiors.
Statement of Special Interest
In our current state of knowledge, we have found that the former Ainslie Park High School meets the criteria for listing for the following reasons:
- It is a notable example of an early 20th century educational building in the International Modernist style building that retains distinctive elements of its historic style and character.
- The building has been altered and truncated from its original form but the main central block remains and retains much of its early composition and design features.
- The building makes a positive contribution to the local streetscape and retains aspects of its historic setting, particularly the views and approach from the north.
- Schools dating from the earlier 20th century are not rare but its adoption of the International Modern style is less common.
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are proposed to be legally excluded from the listing: extension wings to the south.
Architectural interest
The building is a notable example of an early 20th century educational building in the International Modernist style with some good Art Deco details. While elements have been demolished and replaced with new build apartments in recent years, the remaining building retains much of its external character as well as distinguishing features of the original complex of buildings including its large scale and the banded windows, entrance centrepiece, stair towers and sculptures. Although the interiors have been largely modernised, some key features like the cantilevered concrete stairs in the towers remain in the building.
The 19-bay, symmetrical front elevation is a prominent architectural feature in an area mostly characterised by post-war housing, particularly along the vista down Crewe Place/Royston Mains Place.
James Stewart Johnston (1901-92) worked in practice with his father until the latter's death in 1934. He designed Ainslie Park High School while sole partner in the firm but by the time it was constructed, he had taken his brother Frank W Johnston to form J & F Johnston in 1947. The practice designed a wide range of buildings, mostly in Edinburgh, of which educational, commercial and retail buildings were an important part.
Historic interest
All schools have a level of social historical interest as buildings relating to education and collective communal memory. This is not considered to be of special interest in itself.
The 20th century was a period of expanding educational provision and school buildings from this period are not rare. However, schools from the 1930s and 1940s are less common and Ainslie Park High School is of interest as an unusual example from these decades. It is also an unusual early example of a school building in the International Modernist style in Scotland which highlights the arrival of modern design in public buildings in the mid-century.
Statutory address and listed building record were revised in 2026. Previously listed as '347A Pilton Avenue (and Crewe Road North), Telford College, including Gymnasium and Entrance Gates'.
References
Bibliography
National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) ID 76531: https://www.trove.scot/place/76531
Maps
Ordnance Survey (Revised 1946, published c.1948) National Grid Map, NT2276SE – A. 1:1250. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.
Ordnance Survey (Revised 1968, published 1969) National Grid Map, NT2276SE – E. 1:1250. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.
Printed sources
The Scotsman (28 July 1967) Citizen of the Year. p.7
Websites
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, James Stewart Johnston at https://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/apex/r/dsa/dsa/architects?p8_id=201717 [accessed 29/07/2025]
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.
Images
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check trove.scot for images relating to 4 Arneil Place (former Ainslie Park High School and Telford College), excluding extension wings to the south, Pilton, Edinburgh
There are no images available for this record.
Search trove.scot
Map
Printed: 09/08/2026 11:47