Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CAIRN'S MILL COTTAGE INCLUDING MILL STEADING AND CAIRN'S MILLLB45764

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/1998
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Fogo
NGR
NT 78759 49577
Coordinates
378759, 649577

Description

Possibly 18th century in origin with earlier to mid 19th century and later additions and alterations. Low 2-storey with 1st floor breaking eaves (later addition), 3-bay cottage with full-height later wing at rear forming near L plan; gabled porch to front; lean-to porch in rear re entrant angle. Harl pointed rubble (whinstone in part); sandstone dressings; rendered porch. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Near rectangular-plan steading to SE. Later 18th century, rectangular plan former corn mill to NW with later additions and alterations.

CAIRN?S MILL COTTAGE, SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door in gabled porch projecting at centre. Single windows at ground in flanking bays; pentice sandstone canopies to both. Evidence of wallhead raised to include upper floor. SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original house with single window at upper floor off set to left of centre; single window at ground in bay to right. Blind elevation to lean-to porch adjoined to right. 2-bay wing recessed to outer right with timber door in bay to left; single window in bay to outer right. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: original house with single window at upper floor off-set to right of centre. Adjoining wing to left with single windows at both floors in bay to right; bipartite window at ground in bay to outer left. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1998.

4-, 8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows (some lying-panes); skylights. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews. Brick apex stacks to NW and NE; various circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

MILL STEADING: probably with 18th century fabric. Predominantly harl-pointed rubble; sandstone rubble dressings. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Some bricked-up openings; boarded timber doors; some timber lintels. Coped rubble wall enclosing courtyard to S. Glazing predominantly missing; various skylights. Red pantile roofs to N range; grey slate roofs to remainder; raised stone skews; brick ridge stack to N. INTERIORS: not seen 1998.

CAIRN?S MILL: 2-storey with attic former corn mill with kiln to N; single storey, lean-to sawmill addition at rear with taller addition adjoined to outer right. Harl-pointed rubble (whinstone in part); droved sandstone dressings. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings (predominantly blocked).

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3-bay main block with single windows at both floors in bay to outer right; sliding loading bay door at 1st floor off-set to right of centre; large 2-leaf door at ground in bay to left; single window aligned at 1st floor. Square-headed opening in single storey, lean-to addition recessed to outer right; lade running through. Full-height kiln recessed to outer left. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind elevation to single storey, lean-to projection at ground; single window centred beneath apex above. E (REAR) ELEVATION: square-headed openings in lean-to projection at ground. Corrugated-iron facing to taller addition to outer right. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: piended roofed former kiln to right. Full height addition to left with large corrugated-iron door.

Windows blocked; regularly spaced skylights. Corrugated-iron roofs; grey slate piended roof to kiln; raised skews; marine-type ventilators.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

The Ordnance Survey Name Book describes the mill as "..a small building 2 storeys high and in good repair. It is used as a corn mill, the machinery is propelled by water....the property of Richard Trotter esq." Although the mill is thought to date from the later 18th century, the nearby cottage appears later in date. The 1858 Ordnance Survey map shows the mill lade, which is still in place, running via the mill and back into the Blackadder Water. Rutherfurd notes a George Sanderson as farmer at 'Cairnsmill' in 1866. According to the present owner, none of the original machinery remains in the mill and it is now used as a store (1998).

References

Bibliography

Armstrong's map, 1771 (mill evident). STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1798) p274. Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856 1858) Reel 62, Book 20, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident). Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler map, 1826 (mill and cottage evident). RUTHERFURD?S SOUTHERN COUNTIES REGISTER AND DIRECTORY (1866, reprinted 1990) p606. J R Hume INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol. 1 (1976) p81. NMRS photographic records.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAIRN'S MILL COTTAGE INCLUDING MILL STEADING AND CAIRN'S MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 03:53