Description
1914: 1st floor altered 1932 by David W Glass, Stirling and 1958. 2-storey, 4-bay, piend-roofed former commercial premises with accommodation over. Red, brown and black brick with stone cills. Base and dividing band courses and eaves corbel course.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 windows to each floor with raised brick pilasters dividing bays, 1st floor windows breaking eaves into pedimented dormerheads.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with later porch at ground and 1st floor window breaking eaves into pedimented dormerhead, further 1st floor window immediately to left; bay to outer left (steeply angled to W) with door to ground and 1st floor pedimented window as above.
NE ELEVATION: steps up to part-glazed boarded timber door at outer left, window to each floor in bay to right (that to 1st floor pedimented as above) with further narrow window immediately to left at 1st floor. Blank face of ancillary building (sand shed) adjoining to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: early pedimented window to 1st floor of outer left bay over vaulted roof of abutting ancillary building (sand shed); sliding boarded timber door to centre with further window to outer right at ground, and later flat-roofed dormer with 3 windows above.
Small pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case, and casement windows. Graded grey slates. Coped brick stack; plain bargeboarding and overhanging eaves to window pediments.
INTERIOR: single space of ground floor with 3 cast-iron columns. 1st floor modern.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES:
STABLE TO SW: slated brick building with 2-pane pivoting windows and small-pane glazing in timber sash and case window. Sliding timber door to centre with
cast-iron running mechanism from Bonnybridge foundry, below pedimented hayloft opening; 2 small windows to left of centre and one to right with further boarded timber door and window beyond; similar small window to SE elevation (all openings segmentally-headed).
INTERIOR: 4 looseboxes with original shaped, boarded timer dividers and timber posts; small tackroom timber lined with stone fireplace.
Low, 3-bay harled ancillary with centre sliding doors and flanking windows adjoining stable; and brick sand shed with Belfast roof to NW - some top-opening metal windows to harled section/sliding boarded
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped brick boundary walls; 4 square section gatepiers with dome finials and 2-leaf boarded timber gates.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally the premises of a general building contractor who lived in the adjacent Rowantree Cottage, and sold to Alex Cameron & Sons in the early 1930s. The 1932 alteration entailed converting the 1st floor (previously industrial) to ?2 houses? which became known as Arivain and Clifton. These two dwellings became one in 1958. During the formation of a garden to the NW, the present owner unearthed enormous quantities of builders rubble including whole bricks marked ?Darngavil?, ?Hyslop?, ?Muir Armadale?, ?Etna?, ?Carfin?, ?Thistle? and ?Cannerton?. One interesting find was a rounded brick with granite top, marked ?M Craig Ltd, Kilmarnock/Scotland?