Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 13244 18330
313244, 718330


Dated 1800. Good survival of early 2-storey and 2-storey with attic, 5-bay tenement with dated oval panel in wallhead gable, and flanked by 2-storey and attic, 2-bay dwelling and later piended 2-storey, 2-bay shop and dwelling, on former main route at heart of Bridge of Earn village. Large blocks of red sandstone ashlar and snecked roughly squared and coursed red sandstone rubble to outer bays. Some droved window dressings.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to W with gablehead stack to centre wallhead gable, part-glazed timber door at centre flanked by later windows altered from doors. Canted dormer window over outer left bays. Altered rear (E) elevations.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows with horns to 1st floor and gablehead, non-traditional modern glazing elsewhere. Grey slates. Coped ashlar wallhead gable and ridge stacks with thackstanes and some cans.

Statement of Special Interest

This short terrace of local red sandstone buildings with Burnbrae at its centre is a significant element in the streetscape of this early part of the village of Bridge of Earn. It is a good survival of an early tenement building and it conforms to the Scottish tradition of a central wallhead gable. The building immediately to the north is the separately listed Cyprus Inn; it is similarly styled with its centre bay rising into a wallhead gable. The Inn appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as a brewery, but as a public house on the 2nd edition. Development in Back Street commenced in 1769 when local joiner and undertaker, John Gilloch, obtained a ninety nine year lease from the Moncreiffe Estate of a strip of land running from Sealsbridge, to the south of Burnbrae, and the River Earn to the east. There are some good rubble boundary walls located at the rear of these properties.

List description revised 2009.



1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps (1859-64 and 1894). JW and RE Seath Dunbarney A Parish With A Past (1991), illus p51.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGE OF EARN, BACK STREET, BURNBRAE, BURNSIDE AND FETTERESK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 14:11