Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SINCLAIR'S HILL WITH WATER PUMPLB44513

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Edrom
NGR
NT 81529 50747
Coordinates
381529, 650747

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. Picturesque, irregular single storey and attic row of 5, 3-bay Cotswold Tudor style Kimmerghame estate cottages. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, chamfered arrises, stone mullions. No 1 to left, No 5 to right of principal elevation.

PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: No 1 with canted stone 4-light window at ground to outer left rising to gabled wallhead dormer, swept to square, door flanking to right 3-light window to right. No 2 with tripartite window to left and stone, gabled wallhead dormer above with bipartite window (curvilinear and finialled gable), gabled canopy to door at centre, with ball finial and arrowslit in gablehead, bipartite window to right. No 3 with bipartite window to left and plain gabled bipartite stone dormer above, advanced pair of gabled bays to centre and right with pentice canopied door to left and canted 4-light window to right, bridged above by small bipartite window surmounted by hoodmould overstepping 3 monogram-carved shield panels. No 4 with tripartite window to left and in plain gabled wallhead dormer above, door in advanced gable with shoulder-arched lintel, flanked to right by bipartite window. No 5 to outer right with tripartite window in advanced panel to left, semicircular pedimented stone bipartite dormer above, door to centre given canopy by bridged lintel joined with advanced canted 5-light window to right, with bracketed eaves canopy and gabled tripartite dormer above.

Blank side gables.

REAR ELEVATION: gabled and catslide-roofed projections and further wallhead, gabled dormers.

Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, Graded grey slate roofs. Sawtooth coping to skews and bracketed skewputts. Ridge and end gablehead stone stacks with battered coping.

WATER PUMP: cast-iron stand pump to road outside No 5. Slender fluted shaft with spout, broader cylindrical top with domed finial cap, and elegant pump handle.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Sinclair's Hill B Group with No 6, Nos 7-8 with Smithy and the Old School. The hamlet was apparently founded in 1751 by Sir Archibald James Murray of Nisbet, who then married into the Kimmerghame family. The cottages are very possibly the work of the Burn and Bryce practice who were involved on the estate in these years, or possibly George Smith who designed the North Lodge to Kimmerghame House in 1835, a one-time assistant to Burn.

References

Bibliography

OS map, surveyed 1857. Information courtesy of Robert Louis Stevenson.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) SINCLAIR'S HILL WITH WATER PUMP

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2022 15:39