Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 17746 74851
317746, 674851


1789 and considerable 19th century alterations; 1992 restoration. Single storey, 3-bay gate lodge with recessed single bay wing to right; canted bay to left; converted for use as a visitor centre for Cammo House. Squared and coursed yellow sandstone; droved quoins; raised ashlar dressings (lightly droved); polished ashlar moulded cornice beneath eaves; projecting cills. Random rubble finish at rear and E elevations.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber panelled door centred in W wing; raised surround; "C W 1789" engraved in lintel; flanking oval rosettes. Single windows at ground flanking entry; single window in recessed bay to outer right.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-light canted window in central bay.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows in bays to outer left and right.

2-pane timber sash and case windows to all openings. Graded grey slate piended roof; replacement rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: recently redecorated, most interior work is new but respects the original.

Statement of Special Interest

When listed in 1991, the lodge was roofless. Recently converted to use as a visitor?s centre for the Cammo Estate, it has been re-roofed and internally refurbished. A receipt for ?62, dated 1789, indicates the cost of this building (then referred to as a porter?s lodge at the gates of Cammo House). The initials "C W" inscribed above the door are thought to stand for Charles Watson, a former proprietor of Cammo. The same initials and the date 1795 can be seen on the sundial within the house grounds. The lodge was previously listed with the adjacent gatepiers (now listed separately).



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1845) p597; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1895; MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECURE OF SCOTLAND (reprinted 1971) p448; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p589-90.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMMO ROAD, CAMMO ESTATE, GATE LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 08:05