Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AUCHENLARICH WITH STABLES AND GATEPIERSLB43911

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/02/1997
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Kilmaronock
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 43669 83709
Coordinates
243669, 683709

Description

Possibly earlier 19th century L-plan farmhouse substantially remodelled and Baronialised in late 19th century and early 20th century, dated 1894 and 1924. Painted harl with red sandstone margins and dressings. 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, villa with Baronial details. Base course; crowstepped gables; gabled dormerheads.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad bay advanced to outer left, lower 3-bay block at centre, round tower bay to outer right. Stugged red sandstone porch off-centre to right; pier buttresses, parapet with raised plaque at centre, incised script GE=T 1894; studded wooden doors. Flanking bipartites at ground, corbelled course to right; 3 gabled dormerheads symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, small window to left; large velux rooflight. Round tower clasping corner, billeted corbel course to corbelled parapet; window at ground and 1st floor. Broad bay to outer left, tripartite windows at ground and 1st floor symmetrically disposed, those at upper floor smaller; parapet with crowstepped gable breaking eaves at centre.

W ELEVATION: over billeted corbel course. 3 bays asymmetrically disposed. 3-stage, crenellated square tower bay to outer left, bipartite windows, decreasing in size from ground to upper floor. Jettied chimney breast at centre, red sandstone plaque, inscribed with datestone G E =T and J E =T, 1929; crowstepped gable buttressing to right; French door at ground outer right, window above.

E ELEVATION: round tower to outer left; half-gabled bay to right, small window at ground, bipartite above, single window in gablehead; raised coped pedestal with ball finial. Small round-headed red sandstone niche bridging angle between tower and adjoining bay. Square, parapetted tower bay advanced to outer right, tripartite window at ground; later lean-to block to outer right.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: square tower bay slightly advanced to outer right, bipartite window at ground left, 2 windows at 1st floor to centre and left, blind window at centre, flanking windows symmetrically disposed. Lower block at centre, door to right of centre, bipartite at ground right, tripartite above. Transomed and mullioned stair window to left; large gabled tripartite dormer to left. Crowstepped gabled bay to left with small window to right in gablehead, apex stack; later single storey lean-to blocks at ground. Modern large gabled tripartite dormer

6-pane top-hopper over plate glass casement windows; 6-pane over 2-pane timber plate glass sash and case windows; leaded and multi-paned windows. Grey slate roof, lead flashings; coped apex stacks with circular cans; modern Velux rooflights.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

GATEPIERS: droved sandstone piers with weathered red sandstone bases and caps.

Rubble sundial in the garden.

STABLE: rectangular-plan crowstepped gabled 2-storey block directly to N of house. Gable with stone steps leading to door at centre, flanking windows, that to right small. 3 segmental arches on left return.

2 dormerhead windows on right return. Jettied shouldered stack on W gable, 6-pane over 9-pane timber sash and case window to outer right.

12-pane timber sash and case windows, plate glass window; grey slate roof, lead flashing on crowsteps; Velux rooflight.

Statement of Special Interest

The house is shown as now on the 2nd edition map.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p50. OS 2nd edition map, 1914.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHENLARICH WITH STABLES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 05:50