Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GOWKHALL, LUSCAR HOUSE AND STABLESLB43646

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/08/1996
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Carnock
NGR
NT 05153 89514
Coordinates
305153, 689514

Description

David Bryce, 1838, extended to E by Robert Rowand Anderson, 1890-91,

en suite but distinguished by crowsteps. 2-storey gabled, Jacobethan villa, originally L-plan. Grey sandstone ashlar, base course, chamfered arrises. Gabled dormerheads, stone mullions.

N ELEVATION: principal bays recessed to right with canted window at ground and window above to left, 2-storey gabled bay advanced to centre with tripartite window at ground altered as door and window above; recessed bay to outer right with former porch of shoulder-arched and keystoned openings latterly blocked with windows setin re-entrant angle and with chimneybreast advanced on gable behind. Later bays to outer left adjoined to similarly advanced and gabled end of original wing to left of centre; chimneybreast on return to right.

W ELEVATION: tripartite window at centre in advanced gabled bay with window above altered as door with metal fire escape, and with strapwork pediment; canted window in bay to right with scrolled carving flanking gabled dormerheaded of former window above (now also door); recessed bay to left with porch in re-entrant angle (see N elevation).

E ELEVATION: 3-bays of main house (later addition) to left with advanced gabled bay to outer left, blank with canted chimneybreast at ground only; bays to centre and right flanking chimney at wallhead with door at ground to right and fire escape serpentining up to right. Recessed service court area at centre. Low, advanced gabled end elevation of later work to outer right, blank except for oculus in gablehead.

12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Large grey slates. Gablet coped gables to Bryce work with block skewputts; crowsteps to later work with beak skewputts. Gablehead stacks and diamond set flues to Bryce original, ashlar wallhead stacks and clay cans to Anderson addition. Decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: decorative schemes by David Bryce in public rooms, largely intact with some later Adam - esque plasterwork. Fine billiard room by Rowand Anderson.

STABLES: circa 1840. quadrangular single storey stable court. Sandstone, squared and snecked with ashlar dressings. 5-bay E elevation with gabled entrance pend, high, round-arched carriage opening with large corbelled clock face and heavy stone birdcage bellcote at apex above; regular fenestration flanking.

Segmental arched carriage openings, round-arched doorway, to court with remains of 4-pane sash and case windows. Louvred ventilator to ridge. Graded grey slates and ashlar skews.

Statement of Special Interest

Bryce at the early, Burn-influenced end of his career in Jacobethan mode, before his later, more prolific Baronial designs.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford FIFE (1988), p317. V Fiddes and A Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE, exhibition catalogue (1976). Sam McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON (1991).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GOWKHALL, LUSCAR HOUSE AND STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 13:30