Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

STRAVITHIE MILLLB4322

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/06/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunino
NGR
NO 53508 11731
Coordinates
353508, 711731

Description

Earlier 19th century, with addition of kiln 1856. Main block to west: rectangular 3 storey, coursed rubble, droved dressings, gabled, straight skews, slated. Extended to same height but narrower rectangular kiln block to east: snecked rubble, droved ashlar dressings, gabled, straight skews, dated panel at east gable. To west single-storey wheel-house,

rubble, droved ashlar dressings, gabled with straight skews, pantiled, single large door to west. To north, earlier block has loading bay under cat-slide roof at second floor left, with two squarish openings to right, windows at 1st floor retain their original part shuttered, part glazed arrangement. No openings at ground floor. The kiln has a single small opening on each side at an upper level, with a door at the ground on the south. Main block to south: single door at ground floor right and small windows to left. Large loading door at 1st floor near centre and three windows at 2nd. Internally much, if not all, the machinery survives, including an overshot iron-framed wheel and two stones, one

by J Smith and Son, Mill-stone builders, Edinburgh.

Statement of Special Interest

Operating in 1840. No longer in use. Roof repaired 1978 when the Circular vent over the kiln was removed.

References

Bibliography

New Statistical Account IX p367 Leighton, History of Fife 1840 Vol III p83.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STRAVITHIE MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 08:53