Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon
NM 54264 21712
154264, 721712


1877. Small rambling gabled 2-storey Baronial house with crenellated 3-stage stair tower. Squared, snecked and stugged cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 broad bays; gabled with apex stacks with exception of stair tower. Set back entrance bay to centre right with projecting crenellated porch at ground; segmental-headed roll-moulded doorway with rope hoodmould with knotted label stops, flanked by narrow windows; 2 windows at 1st floor flanking armorial panel. Right bay aligned with porch with 2 windows at ground, 1 at 1st floor. Projecting stair tower to centre left with window at 1st stage, pair of narrow slit windows above flanking panelled date stone 1877, string course, small window at 3rd stage, corbelled cornice and crenellated parapet; flagpole to left springs from string course and pierces cornice. Left bay projecting with windows to both floors. Screen wall to single storey service court and wing to right, with door at centre.

W ELEVATION: broad 2-bay. Full-height canted window breaking eaves to left with string course above ground, cornice and crenellated parapet; bipartite window to right at ground, window breaking eaves at 1st floor with gabled dormerhead.

N ELEVATION: irregular 4-bay range to W with windows to each bay at ground and further glazed door; right bay with lopsided gable and apex stack, blank at 1st floor; remaining bays with 1st floor windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads. Projecting gabled bay to E with window displaced to right at both floors; W return with windows displaced to right. Wall to service court extends to E.

E ELEVATION: court elevation with gable at centre; irregular fenestration. Projecting single-storey piend-roofed service range.

Multi-pane timber glazing; variety of sash and case and casements. Ashlar coped skews, corbel skewputs to principal gables; coped ashlar stacks, some octagonal cans remain. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Alexander Maclean of Pennycross, as a replacement for nearby Carsaig House (sometimes known as Pennycross House- see separate listing).



No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INNIEMORE LODGE, CARSAIG, BY PENNYGHAEL, ISLE OF MULL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 03:54