Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TORLOISK HOUSELB43023

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Kilninian And Kilmore
NGR
NM 41059 45782
Coordinates
141059, 745782

Description

Late 18th century core, addition of E and W wings 1811-2, further additions by MacGregor and Miller, 1863-4 and 1879. Asymmetrically-grouped Scottish Baronial style, 2, 3 and 4 storey house. Predominantly whinstone with sandstone features and dressings. Some string courses; crowstep gables.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3-storey and attic 18th century building visible off-centre, tall gable chimney stacks with skew and skewputt to W gable. 3 windows to each floor, dormers (1863-4). Semi-octagonal

window bay (1863-4) to left with tall pyramidal roof and dormer. Continuous stone balcony to right at 1st floor level (1863-4). 2-storey 4-bay wing (1811-2) to left with 3-storey gable end bay. 4-storey gabled bay to outer right (1811-2) with 2-storey canted window bay (1863-4), semi-circular headed window to gable.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bays; gabled bay to centre and lower bay to outer left (1811-12) and taller 4-storey tower (1863-4) to outer right. Advanced porch to outer left, architraved doorcase, coat-of-arms above. Bay to right also advanced but set back slightly from porch, tripartite window, single storey conservatory above at 1st floor screening tripartite window with semi-circular headed central transom. Similar tripartite windows to right and left outer bays.

Pedimented dormerhead window to outer left. Round-head window to gable of centre bay. Tower corbelled at 2nd floor, balustraded parapet, turret (1879).

N ELEVATION: massing of tower and turret to outer left, strongly modelled crowsteps to tower gable. Rear of later 18th century house set back to right, semi-circular stair window to centre. 2-storey wing to right with gabled end bay.

Timber sash and case windows with variety of glazing patterns relating to architectural development of house including 12-pane, 2-pane and 4-pane windows. Some casement windows. Grey slate roof with

fishscale slates to roof of 1879 turret and semi-octagonal bay on S elevation. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

The 18th century house was built by Lachlan MacLean of Torloisk some time before 1784. It replaced an earlier residence built around round three sides of a square, part of which was retained as offices until demolished in 1811. His daughter Marianne MacLean Clephane who was a friend of Sir Walter Scott carried out alterations in 1811 which included the internal remodelling of the house and the erection of the kitchen wing. Her daughter Margaret married Lord Compton in 1815,

subsequently 2nd Marquess of Northampton. Following her death in 1840 the house passed to successive members of the Compton family.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland Vol 3 Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll 1980 pages 237-8.

Royal Scottish Academy 1866 Exhibitions Catalogue, information courtesy of Professor David Walker.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TORLOISK HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 22:39