Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALGONIE POLICIES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB42968

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
01/03/1996
Supplementary Information Updated
27/06/2023
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NO 31324 1097
Coordinates
331324, 701097

Description

17th or early 18th century, largely reconstructed early 19th century. Extensive, rectangular-plan former parkland boundary wall surrounding Balgonie Castle. Semi-circular and flat coped rubble boundary walls. Square ashlar gate piers with square coping to north wall (at NO 31324, 01097 and NO 30912, 701110). Wall extends from St Drostans at the north west corner to Cardowrie Loan at the south east.

Statement of Special Interest

This extensive rectangular policy wall frames the sweeping landscape of the former parkland of Balgonie Castle (see separate listing) and is an important component of the historic estate setting. The policy wall is evident on mid 18th century mapping and its footprint does not appear to have changed significantly since that time. The late 18th century Statistical Accounts of Scotland refer to the castle ¿standing in an oblong square of 300 acres fenced by a stone and lime wall'. The policy wall was reconstructed in places in the early 19th century and has been breached at various locations for farm traffic, dwellings and by the A911. The rectangular plan of the wall remains largely intact and is a distinctive part of the landscape. The tower at Balgonie was built by Sir Thomas Sibbald in the 14th century. The first Earl of Leven made additions to the tower and built a park around the castle in the 17th century. The rectangular-plan Balgonie policy wall is shown on William Roy's Military Map (circa 1750) and on John Ainslie's 1775 map with the legend 'Parks'. The area around Balgonie Castle is referred to as the 'deer's park' in early 19th century literature. It is unclear whether the extent of the policy wall defines an earlier deer enclosure. A timber palisade and dyke enclosure may have been used to contain deer in an area around Balgonie from the 14th century onwards. Listed Building Record updated, 2014. Minor factual correction to 'Description' section, 2023

References

Bibliography

Roy. W (circa 1750) Map, Roy's Military Survey of Scotland, 1745-1755. Ainslie. J (1775) Map, County of Fife, Imprint: London s.n (1775). Thomson. J (1832) Map. http://maps.nls.uk

Thomson. J (1791-99) The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, p549. The British Register Monthly Magazine (1810) Vol 30, p 193.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALGONIE POLICIES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 23:24