Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BLACKADDER MOUNT STEADINGLB4278

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/03/1997
Supplementary Information Updated
26/03/1997
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Edrom
NGR
NT 85467 53364
Coordinates
385467, 653364

Description

Alexander Boswell, 1785, with later alterations and additions. U-plan steading court with later stable range projecting to rear, forming 2nd court. Clock tower to centre of N range, above arch, formerly with lead-clad steeple, removed in 1991 (see Notes). Squared and snecked sandstone with harled addition to E range and recent single storey addition to W elevation, S end of E range.

E RANGE: W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: granary and hayloft to N end; dairy to S end of steading; dwelling in 5 bays to outer right. 13-bay, grouped 3-1-4-1-3-1 (single storey except 2-storey 3-1 bay group to S). 1-3-1 bay groups to right currently used as farmhouse. 4-bay group: irregularly disposed with boarded door in bay to inner left, flanked to left by window (with iron bars); small high opening in bay to inner right (also with bars); duck entrance near ground with ashlar shelf beneath and slatted sliding door between bays to right; pend entrance in bay to outer right with boarded door. Enlarged, now bipartite window in single bay to right of 4-bay group. Small high opening (as to inner right of 4-bay group) in single bay group to left of 4-bay group. 3-bay group to outer left: irregularly-disposed (with wider spacing to left) boarded door to centre with piended hay-loft dormer above (breaking eaves). Window to each flanking bay (former door, now part blinded in bay to left). 3-bay group to right: raised polished ashlar margins to windows; flush quoins. Symmetrical group with regularly-placed windows at 1st floor. Modern (1994) addition at ground to centre and in bay to right, overlapping with 2-storey additional bay to outer right. Window at ground of bay to left. Modern addition of stugged ashlar with concrete dressings with piended roof and modern panelled door to N return elevation. Single bay to outer right later with bipartite window to each floor. S ELEVATION: harled with modern 4-leaf French window at ground. E ELEVATION: bays grouped 1-3-2-2-1-1. (Rubble, including whinstone to single storey 6 bays to N.) From left to right: single bay to later addition (to S) with bipartite window at 1st floor with advanced narrow chimney breast to right. 3-bay group: later 19th century single storey addition of stugged ashlar with droved ashlar dressings. Boarded door with plate glass fanlight above to centre; window in bay to right; advanced blank bay to left. 2-bay S return elevation with bipartite window in bay to left, window in bay to right. 2-bay group: window to left; pend entrance with boarded door to right. 2-bay group to right: single storey lean-to addition, rubble with tooled ashlar dressings with window opening to each bay. Boarded door to each return elevation. Window in single bay flanked to right by blank bay, abutting to outer right with E elevation of N range.

N RANGE: S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 9 bay; symmetrical, ashlar. Round-arched opening to centre with raised band at impost level. Square-plan tower rising above eaves height with band course above eaves level; window to centre advanced bay. Cornice. Octagonal 3rd stage with ashlar urns to chamfered elevations (missing to SW and NW); clock to S elevation with corbelled broken pediment above, and to W, E and S elevations. 4th stage stepped in, octagonal with round-arched window to S, blinded to chamfered elevations (SE, SW, NE, NW). Cornice to wallhead. Originally with segmental arched opening at ground of each bay of flanking 4-bay groups. Modern sliding metal door in bay to inner left of 4-bay group to right (covering segmental arched opening); boarded with strip windows to openings to right of 4-bay group to right; recessed boarded partitions to opening in bay to outer left with boarded door. Boarded with strip window to each opening of 4-bay group to left, except in bay to outer right, with boarded door flanked by boarding. Wyatt windows (with blinded flanking lights and louvred opening to centre) to 1st above flanking bays and between inner bays of each group. E ELEVATION: (see E elevation of E range). Ground level raised (to 1st floor level) with door opening. N ELEVATION: not seen fully, 1996. Round-arched opening to centre, as to S elevation with similar features above to tower, except blinded window to 2nd stage and 4th stage. Lean-to open shed to left of centre. Therma window to outer left. Openings at ground and 1st floor of bays to right of centre.

W RANGE: former cow byre with barn and threshing barn to N end. Much altered with roof and walls removed, except:

E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: asymmetrical arrangement of openings, many of which blinded. Modern shed adjoining to W.

E RANGE TO N: dated 1877. Single storey range with curvilinear gables. Stugged ashlar with droved ashlar dressings. Round-arched entrance opening to S, abutting N range of 1st courtyard. W ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to inner left with 2-part boarded door at ground and 3-pane fanlight above; louvred opening to gablehead. Boarded door in bay to outer left with 2-pane fanlight above. Former door opening in bay to inner right, now partly blinded. Gabled bay to outer right with shield (with date) to gablehead above round-arched opening. E ELEVATION: 5-bay, each with window, except round-arched opening in gabled bay to outer left, with key-stone and shield to gablehead. INTERIOR: former working-horse stable; tack shafts in place. Later used as piggery; now workshop.

12-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows to farmhouse; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to tower. Slate roof.

COURTYARD: with setts. Octagonal stugged ashlar coped wall to centre of courtyard, with wrought and cast-iron arrow-head fence and gate (with specially-designed duck hole); pond to centre. (See Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

This was the home farm for the Blackadder estate. It was also known as Blackadder Barns. It is one of the impressive steadings built after the Montgomery Act of 1770 which permitted proprietors to pass three- quarters of the cost of any state improvement to their successors. Circa 1775 (according to a note written by Robert Burns at the time of his Borders' tour in 1787) James Small of Blackadder Mount introduced the plough to Scotland (see Mrs Swan's presidential address). The clock mechanism is still extant in the tower. The bell is dated 1798. There is a pump house (NT8490 5386) on Blackadder Water (to NW of walled garden) which originally pumped water to Blackadder Mount by means of a timber-slatted undershot wheel. The water was stored in a tank in the tower (to give it height), and the pond was used as an overflow. The working-horse stable block was built at a time of great improvement on the estate (dating from the decade after, amongst other work done, Blackadder Mains steading was built.

References

Bibliography

THE SCOTSMAN, 24 December 1990: "Not so lowly cattle sheds", C McKean. Messrs John D Wood Sales particulars for the Blackadder estate, 1925. Marie W Stuart "Blackadder: Castle and Mansion". The Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, Presidential Address October 1982 (Mrs C Swan), "The House of Blackadder".

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLACKADDER MOUNT STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 08:31