Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NN 48270 1544
248270, 701544


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Dun Dubh is a small C-plan, 2-storey asymmetrical mansion, built in 1886 in a plain 17th century revival style; the character of the house is defined by the use of a gabled roofline, irregularly disposed red sandstone mullioned windows, a mixture of vertically and horizontally orientated openings, and an unusual quoin arrangement of long verticals broken by short horizontals. The house is located in on a wooded site overlooking Loch Ard to the W.

The house is approached from the N; the N elevation has 3 gables, the outer two of which are slightly advanced. The entrance porch is a deeply corniced, flat roofed rectangular projection from the right of the centre section, with a roll moulded doorpiece and riveted timber door offset to the right, and a date plaque to the left. Above the porch is a 4-light window to light the stair hall within.

The W elevation is double-gabled; the windows on this elevation have had their mullions removed and modern glazing inserted; there was also originally a small timber conservatory to the right of this elevation. Both the W and the longer S elevation have view over Loch Ard. The S elevation is 4-bay, with 2 gables to the centre and a parapeted canted 2-storey bay window. The rear (E) elevation, which has a gable to the left and a small single storey lean-to projection, also has the door to the service area of the house.


Most of the original joinery and plasterwork remains. The billiard room has a ceiling divided into squares by timber and plaster mouldings. The W public room has two stone bolection chimneypieces. The entrance porch contains a small timber-panelled cloakroom. The ¼ turn timber stair has an unusual fretwork design baluster.


Random rubble with red bull-faced sandstone margins and quoins; at the time of the 1st survey (1971) the house was harled, and may have originally been so. Mixture of multi-pane timber casement windows and sash and case windows; some modern windows. Pitched roof, graded slates, stone skews. Cast iron rain water goods including ornamental hoppers. Corniced gable head and wall head stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Dun Dhu was built for a Colonel Eyres, whose monogram is on the date stone on the N elevation.

To the NW of the main house is the roofless shell of the coach house, which was originally designed in the same style as the house. Also to the NW is a small brick-built generator house, dating to the earlier 20th century.



2nd Edition OS map, 1895-96; Joynson, P, Local Past, (1996), 203.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUN DHU (ALSO KNOWN AS DUN DUBH OR MELL MHOR)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2022 17:34