Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SOUTH BEACH, TOWN HALL INCLUDING LAMP STANDARDSLB42136

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/05/1984
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Troon
NGR
NS 32094 30849
Coordinates
232094, 630849

Description

James Miller, 1932. Neo-Georgian town hall with municipal offices to front; concert hall at rear. Symmetrical 2-storey with attic and basement, 9-bay principal elevation grouped 3-3-3 (advanced at centre); 13-bay elevation to NW; single and 2-storey extension to S (Noad & Wallace, circa 1960). Red brick; ashlar dressings (Blaxter sandstone); red tile roof. Sandstone plinth; dentilled cornice to entablature advanced at centre; balustraded parapet; moulded eaves course to remainder; overhanging eaves. Giant order fluted, Composite pilasters dividing central bays; pilastered surrounds to ground floor windows with architraved, round-arched uppers; square headed windows at basement and 1st floors; projecting sandstone cills. Columnar porch to front; balustraded balconies to N.

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to entrance centred at ground; wrought-iron outer doors; 2-leaf 10-pane vestibule doors within; projecting porch comprising flanking pilasters, advanced Doric columns, full entablature with dentilled cornice beneath balustraded balcony; French windows aligned at 1st floor. Squat basement window in bay to right; ramp obscuring bay to left; round-arched windows at ground; square-headed windows at 1st floor; surmounting balustraded parapet. Squat basement windows in remaining bays recessed to right; regularly fenestrated at ground and 1st floors; 2 tripartite dormers aligned above. Ramp obscuring basement in remaining bays recessed to outer left; regularly fenestrated at ground and 1st floors; 2 tripartite dormers aligned above.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 13-bay; advanced in penultimate bay to outer right. Near-symmetrical 11-bay elevation to left comprising steps to canopied concert hall entrance centred at ground; balustraded balcony to French doors aligned at 1st floor. Squat basement windows in remaining bays to left; regularly fenestrated at ground and 1st floors (French doors at 1st floor in penultimate bay to outer left; balustraded balcony to front). Squat basement opening in bay to right of entrance; steps to 2-leaf basement door in subsequent bay to right; regularly fenestrated above. Regularly fenestrated at ground and 1st floors in 3 bays to right (French doors at 1st floor in penultimate bay to outer right; balustraded balcony to front). Full-height single bay projection in penultimate bay to outer right with steps to 2-leaf, part glazed boarded timber door at ground; ashlar surround comprising stylised pilasters, architraved, round-arched pediment; single window at 1st floor. Part-glazed boarded timber door at ground in bay recessed to outer right.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated at ground and 1st floors in 3-bay projection to outer right; bipartite dormers aligned above. Single windows at 1st floor in bays recessed to left; later single and 2-storey extension projecting to front.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 9-bay, grouped 1-7-1; advanced at centre; fluted giant order pilasters dividing 5 central bays. 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; architraved surround; heavy, panelled parapet; square-headed windows at ground in 3 bays to left and right respectively (breaking plinth); 5 double-height windows set between pilasters above. Round-arched single windows at ground in bays recessed to outer left and right. Later addition adjoined to right.

Small-pane metal glazing throughout. Red tile piended and platformed roof slightly swept at eaves; cast-iron rainwater goods. Sandstone cornices to red brick ridge stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: 2-leaf 10-pane vestibule doors; pilastered doorpieces with full entablatures to 2-leaf glazed timber doors off hall (council offices). Raised skirting boards; simple cornices. Half-turn hall stair to 1st floor with stone treads; barley-sugar balusters. Original floor covering to rear vestibule linking hall; 2-leaf small-pane doors; timber panelled kiosk; half-turn stair with stone treads, straight and barley-sugar balusters. Shallow-vaulted, double-height hall with ventilator strips between raised braces; architraved timber surrounds to 2-leaf doors; timber panelled dado; 3-sided, timber-fronted gallery (tiered seats to NE). Lugged, segmental-arched opening framing stage; balustraded stairs flanking sides.

LAMP STANDARDS: decorative lamp standards to front flanking entrance comprising fluted plinths; anthemion detailing to shaft bases; surmounting lamps with painted coats-of-arms; tapering finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on a site gifted by Sir Alexander Walker - a client for whom Miller had already worked in Troon (see separate list entry, No 137 Bentinck Drive, Rowallan). The first designs date back to 1915 with a similar scheme on a larger scale. This was postponed due to the war. The final, executed scheme continued the original theme, with round-arched ground floor openings, columnar doorpieces, square-headed 1st floor openings and a piended, platformed roof. Here, Miller made clear his ability to design simply on a large scale, accommodating function within an appropriate frame. Despite a later extension, the original building remains virtually unchanged. A significant example of Miller's Neo-Georgian work, this is also one of Troon's most prominent buildings.

References

Bibliography

Does not appear on Ordnance Survey map, 1911; AYRSHIRE POST 28/10/1932; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1958; R Close AYRSHIRE & ARRAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p47; A Sloan & G Murray JAMES MILLER 1860-1947 (1993) p48; M McEwan TROON MEMORIES (1996) p23; Strathclyde Regional Archives: The History of Troon, J Graham, ATD20/1-22.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH BEACH, TOWN HALL INCLUDING LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 15:41