Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERFOYLE, MAIN STREET, NOS 1-6 INCLUSIVE CRAIGUCHTY TERRACE INCLUDING OUTHOUSESLB4209

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
06/09/1979
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Aberfoyle
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 52325 990
Coordinates
252325, 700990

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Craiguchty Terrace was built circa 1895 as a terrace of 6 houses, designed by James Miller in an English Arts and Crafts style using red sandstone with red Rosemary tile-hung upper floors and roof and detailed with numerous tall stacks and half-timbered gables. With some houses now subdivided into two flats, the terrace is situated on rising ground, set back from the N side of the street within gardens. Craiguchty Terrace retains some original interior detailing, and makes a strong contribution to the streetscape of Aberfoyle.

The front (N) elevation of the terrace is near symmetrical, with coupled doorways flanked by canted bays to ground floor; the 1st floor has large jettied half-timbered gables surmounting the bays at the outer left bay and 2 outer right bays. The inner houses have smaller flush half-timbered gabled dormers breaking the eaves above the canted bays with a flanking horizontally orientated window under the eaves, and each couple of houses share a horizontal flat-headed dormer to the roof.

At the rear (N) elevation, each pair of houses share a single storey, square-plan kitchen out-shot, which are flat roofed to allow access from French windows on the 1st floor, and have timber stairs leading down into the back gardens.

Interiors:

No 1: majority of original joinery and plasterwork. Timber and leaded glazed screen and inner door. Timber-panelled wainscot and original chimneypiece to rear ground floor room.

No 3: majority of original joinery and plasterwork remains. Timber and glazed screen and inner door. In rear ground floor room, pulvinated timber chimneypiece with mantel mirror; timber stair with turned balusters.

Access not obtained (2005) to Nos. 2 and 4 (both subdivided) and Nos. 5 and 6.

Geometric tiles to most vestibule floors.

Materials:

Bullfaced red sandstone to ground floor to front and side elevations with red clay tile hung upper floor; roughly coursed whin rubble with red sandstone dressings and margins to rear. Timber-panelled and glazed front doors with crown glass panes. Multi-pane casement windows. Piended Rosemary-tiled roof with overhanging eaves. Tall bullfaced sandstone corniced stacks with red clay circular cans; 6 wallhead stacks to rear, 5 ridge stacks, and asymmetrical walls end stack to each side elevation.

Outhouses:

At the top of the rear gardens, each pair of houses share one of 3 small rectangular brick outhouses with pitched slated roofs

Statement of Special Interest

The land on which Craiguchty Terrace stands was feued by the Duke of Montrose to Hugh Kennedy in 1876. Kennedy is believed to have been involved in bringing the railway to Aberfoyle.

No 3 appears to have been feud to its first occupant in 1885.

The name Craiguchty appears to have been taken from an earlier settlement just to the N of the terrace (demolished).

Early photographs of the terrace show it with a brick wall and different railings; these were replaced in the 20th century by the current red concrete walls and palings.

References

Bibliography

1st edition OS map, 1858-63; 2nd edition OS map, 1895-96. Deeds in possession of current owners. Gifford, J and Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), 105. NMRS, ref no NN50SW6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERFOYLE, MAIN STREET, NOS 1-6 INCLUSIVE CRAIGUCHTY TERRACE INCLUDING OUTHOUSES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:28