Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 79520 91671
279520, 691671


1629, 1674 and later, reconstructed 1975-76, further alterations late 20th century. Interesting, prominently sited small group of vernacular dwellings close to St Ninian's Old Parish Kirk. Crowstepped 2-storey and dormerless attic, 7-bay, rectangular plan flatted dwellings (dated 1629) facing Main Street with forestair at rear elevation (formerly dated 1603, see Notes) overlooking small courtyard; tall single storey, 6-bay, rectangular plan cottage (formerly 2 dwellings) facing Kirk Wynd with former byre and hayloft (dated 1674) projecting from rear also facing courtyard; crowstepped 2-storey and dormerless attic, 3-bay, T-plan pair of houses, dated 1677 at rear. Dry dash with contrasting squared rubble long and short work margins. Many openings enlarged.


31A AND 31B MAIN STREET: entrance elevation to W with door just to left of centre, 1st floor openings possibly original, chamfered angle to left. Kirk Wynd elevation (N) with semicircular stone archway linking to No 1 Kirk Wynd and leading to rear courtyard. Courtyard elevation with rebuilt forestair leading to door at 1st floor left and small lean-to bay at outer left.

1 KIRK WYND: entrance elevation to N. Formerly 2 cottages, each comprising door with flanking windows, left door no longer in use. Lean-to bay at right adjoins archway (see above). Rear (S) elevation with projecting range at centre incorporated into dwelling, left return facing courtyard has steps up to centre door (dated 1674) below swept hayloft opening.

3 AND 5 KIRK WYND: symmetrical entrance elevation to N (see Notes) with architraved doorway to probably later catslide entrance bay projecting at centre. 5-bay rear elevation to S with door (dated 1677) to right of centre.

Small pane glazing patterns in replacement timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped dry-dash stacks with some cans. Coped ashlar and crowstepped skews with moulded skewputts.

INTERIORS: No 1 Kirk Wynd (seen 2009) comprehensively modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

These buildings were restored in the later 20th century, but their character can still be discerned in the massing, grouping and scale. This makes them important survivors in Stirling and they add to the architectural interest of the area, contributing significantly to the streetscape and as a reminder of the history of St Ninian's.

The group is sited close to the ruins of the separately listed Old Parish Kirk which dates to the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries, and the well-preserved 1734 steeple by Robert Henderson and Charles Bachop of Stirling. St Ninians Parish Church Hall, circa 1843-5, is located opposite Nos 3 and 5, and is also separately listed.

Groome says that "Up to 1724 it was simply the Kirkton, but has since then been known as St Ringans or St Ninians ... The houses are curious and old-fashioned". The small group at Main Street and Kirk Wynd described above are, although much restored, the last few of those buildings, and probably survive because of their proximity to the church.

An early postcard of Kirk Wynd shows Nos 1, 3 and 5 with typical vernacular detailing of pantiled roofs and traditional harling. Nos 3 and 5 are noted by Gifford and Walker as being the former manse with 'problematic' datestones of 1677 and 1731. The 1731 date was not seen during the 2009 listing review, neither was the 1603 date above the forestair door of 31B Main Street which had been noted in the previous listing.

Formerly listed as Kirk Wynd, St Ninians. Description revised, Nos 3 and 5 Kirk Wynd added and category changed from B to C(S) 2010.



1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1865 and 1899). John Gifford and Frank Arneil Walker Buildings of Scotland Stirling and Central Scotland (2002), pp757-8. Groome Gazetteer of Scotland Vol VI, p315.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1, 3 AND 5 KIRK WYND AND 31A AND 31B MAIN STREET, ST NINIANS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 22:45