Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
St Andrews
NO 49182 15593
349182, 715593


Possibly early to mid 16th century. Rare large, sandstone rubble beehive type dovecot with steep batter surrounded by modern housing development. 3 rat-courses. Flat roof at 3rd rat-course containing entry ports. Later entry ports above 2nd rat-course to S (see Notes). Low studded timber door at ground level to SW.

Statement of Special Interest

Bogward Dovecot is a rare early beehive type dovecot dating from the early to mid 16th century. Until the 1960's the dovecot formed part of Bogward Farm and the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1893-5 shows the close proximity of the dovecot in relation to the farm. The farm has since been demolished and a modern housing estate constructed on the site.

The use of dovecots was established in Britain from Normans. In Scotland an Act of Parliament from 1503 required 'everilk lord and lard (laird) mak thame (them) to have dowcatis' (R G Cant p143) as part of land management and to provide a welcome source of winter food. At this time the land containing the dovecot at Bogward belonged to the Priory of St Andrews and was let out to local farmers. It was the Priory that benefited from the meat and eggs of the pigeons while the accumulated manure provided a natural lime-rich fertilizer.

The 'beehive type' at Bogward is so named from its resemblance to bee-skeps or hives. The use of rat-courses was to prevent rats from climbing up the exterior and stealing eggs or even young birds while the third course at the wallhead also acted as a ledge for birds entering. The entry ports at the S have been identified (R G Cant p146) as a later addition.

It is understood that the interior contains 800 nesting-boxes and a potence: a rotating ladder, attached to a stone plinth in the middle of the floor, reaching to the top of the dovecot enabling access to the nesting-boxes. As is common in dovecots the lower levels of the interior are kept clear of boxes to allow for the build up of manure. The potence was renewed and the building restored by the St Andrews Preservation Trust from 1962-74. RCAHMS Archaeology Notes from October 1956 describes the building as being in 'good condition' with the exception of the fallen-in roof which was subsequently reinstated by the Trust along with a new door and re-pointing work.




1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1852-5). 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-5). R G Cant "Doocots of St Andrews and its Neighbourhood" (1983) in Three Decades of Historical Notes (ed M Innes & J Whelan, 1991), p143-147. St Andrews Preservation Trust leaflet Discovering Doocots. St Andrews Preservation Trust Photographic Archive (Ref: Bog 1-13). RCAHMS (Archaeology Notes Ref: NO41NE 11).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOGWARD DOVECOT.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 04:18