Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

31, 33, 35 AND 37 KINNESSBURN ROAD (FORMER 1-3 FLEMING PLACE) INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB40913

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
08/06/1978
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50674 16295
Coordinates
350674, 716295

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century with later additions and alterations (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, L-plan house, subdivided into flats. Situated in strategic street location with prominently positioned gables. Squared and snecked sandstone to S and E elevations with painted margins, rubble to rear. W elevation with inscribed stone panel with "FLEMING PLACE" and stone shield to gablehead. Later brick gabled extension to N.

S (STREET) ELEVATION: re-entrant angle with panelled timber doors with rectangular glazed fanlights to ground and 1st floors, the upper reached by forestair oversailing ground floor.

E (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3-bay with near central tall entrance with 8-pane rectangular glazed fanlight to 1st floor, reached by forestair; off-centre flat-roofed dormer-headed window breaking eaves above; further flat-roofed dormer to right. To left, single bay with window to ground and 1st floor. To right single bay with window at 1st floor and flat-roofed modern extension projecting from ground floor.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates with 2 non-traditional rooflights. Large coped ashlar gable end stacks and single stack to rear with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts to W gable. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: rectangular plan sandstone rubble outbuilding to E with piended pantiled roof. Boarded timber door to E. To W elevation part-glazed timber door and window. Part brick and sandstone coped stack with can to SE corner.

GARDEN AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to S. Low coped sandstone section of wall with railings. To right high coped sandstone rubble section of garden wall leading to outbuilding. Second high section of wall running N from brick extension to NW.

Statement of Special Interest

Sited to the south of the medieval city walls and the Kinness Burn, 31-37 Kinnessburn Road has a prominent position in the streetscape. Its distinctive gables add much character to the Kinnessburn area.

It is likely that the original building had a gable end facing the street and this was added to with a further 2-bay gabled section creating an L-plan when viewed from the street. Map evidence (Ordnance Survey Town Plan 1854) suggests this addition is pre-1850s. Later additions to the N and E have again altered the plan of the building without significantly affecting its elevations.

Given its location outside the city walls the building does not appear on John Wood's 'Plan of the City of St Andrews' dated 1820. The buildings grouped around Fleming Place, including 31-37 Kinnessburn Road (the name dates from the 20th century, previously this street was known as Fleming Place Road) first appear on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1852-5. This complex of buildings was associated with a flax spinning mill which occupied the site in the early 19th century; a position where it could access the water supply from the Lade Braes north of the Kinness Burn or direct form the burn itself. Subsequently the site was purchased by John Fleming (a china and stoneware merchant) in 1849 who converted the buildings on the site into flats bearing his name. This period (1840s) is a possible date for the L-plan extension.

_______________________________________________________

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1852-5). Ordnance Survey Town Plans (1854, 1893). Robert N Smart & Kenneth C Fraser St Andrews Street Names (1995) p46 & 34.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31, 33, 35 AND 37 KINNESSBURN ROAD (FORMER 1-3 FLEMING PLACE) INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 03:12