Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MILTON OF BUCHANAN, WESTMOST COTTAGE AND EASTMOST COTTAGE (FORMERLY KNOWN AS MILTON FARM COTTAGES)LB4080

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/09/1973
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Buchanan
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 44554 90321
Coordinates
244554, 690321

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Westmost Cottage and Eastmost Cottage are a symmetrical pair of semi-detached harled 2-storey cottages, built circa 1800 as part of the Duke of Montrose's Buchanan Castle Estate. Located at the heart of the small village of Milton of Buchanan, they offer streetscape value and historical interest in relation to the development of the village.

The principal elevations of the cottages face S, onto the road that passes through Milton of Buchanan; their location, very close to the adjacent Milton Farm (see separate listing), suggests that the cottages were originally built to house workers at Milton Farm. The cottages originally contained 4 separate dwellings, but were amalgamated into 2 during the 20th century.

United under a long shallow piended roof, each cottage has 3-bay front elevation, with a centrally positioned timber boarded door, and only 2 near-square windows each to the 1st floor. To the rear, a single-storey lean-to extension was added across the whole length, probably in the early 20th century; to the 1st floor, flat-headed dormers, possibly inserted at the same time, break the eaves, 2 to each side with the outer windows having a central timber mullion. Each cottage has a single ground floor window to the side (E and W) elevations.

Interiors:

The interior of Westmost Cottage has been modernised. Access to Eastmost Cottage not gained, 2004.

Materials:

White-painted harl with painted stone margins. Timber sash and case windows; mostly 12-pane glazing; 6 horizontal-pane glazing to 1st floor to front elevation. Piended slate roof; graded slates. Central ridge stack; wallhead stacks with slated shoulders to each side gable; all stacks harled and coped with circular cans. Mostly cast iron rainwater goods.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS map, 1858-65. Gifford, J and Walker, FA, Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), 618.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILTON OF BUCHANAN, WESTMOST COTTAGE AND EASTMOST COTTAGE (FORMERLY KNOWN AS MILTON FARM COTTAGES)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:42