Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LOCH KATRINE, PORTNELLAN, MACGREGOR OF GLENGYLE BURIAL GROUNDLB4066

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Callander
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 40590 11915
Coordinates
240590, 711915

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Late 17th century burial ground set an in idyllic location on a man-made promontory to Loch Katrine. From 1859 Loch Katrine became used as Glasgow's main source of drinking water functioning as a reservoir, as a result the water level of the loch was artificially raised. In 1922 to avoid the burial site being submerged the Glasgow Corporation raised it up onto a T-shaped causeway allowing access from the heightened shoreline to the burial ground. The site is one of the historical burial grounds of the MacGregor's of Glengyle. The legendary Rob Roy MacGregor was born at nearby Glengyle in 1671 (see separate listing for Glengyle House). He is not buried at this site, instead resting in the burial ground of The Old Parish Church at Balquhidder (see separate listing).

The burial site is located to the far SW end of the causeway, a retaining wall runs to the SW, NW and SE raising the site some height above the water level. The site is enclosed by a wall running to the NE which links it with the retaining wall. It is swept up at the entrance with an inscribed lintel. The lintel is badly weathered but is believed to bear the MacGregor of Glengyle crest and the motto 'E'en do and spare not' and the inscription 'In regard of the memory of her dear husband, Malcolm MacGregor, and their worthy son, John MacGregor, this chapel ws repaired by Katherine MacGregor of Glengyle, 1781'. A low wall within the site encloses 12 grave slabs, the earliest appears to date from 1699. A further 4 slabs lie outwith the low wall to the NW of the site.

Materials: Random rubble with rubble copes to retaining wall and boundary wall, render to low enclosure wall within site.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as Mcgrecor of Glengyle burial ground, Portnellan, Loch Katrine. The Clan Gregor became established in Glengyle in the earlier 17th century and later expanded in strength into Balquhidder, Glen Orchy, Breadalbane and Rannoch. The clans expansion was curtailed by the government in 1611 when they were prosecuted by Act of Privy Council. The MacGregors retained their house and land at Glengyle. It is thought that for a time Rob Roy MacGregor lived at a dwelling near the burial ground at Portnellan. The burial ground appears to have ceased being used in the early 19th century. Another MacGregor burial ground founded in the 18th century(see separate listing) is located to the W of nearby Glengyle House. The Glengyle Estate was purchased by Glasgow Corporation in 1918.

References

Bibliography

NMRS;Trossachs Pier Interpretation board.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCH KATRINE, PORTNELLAN, MACGREGOR OF GLENGYLE BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:46