Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

61 AND 67 HIGH STREET INCLUDING REAR OUTBUILDING (NO 65)LB40457

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/04/1971
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Rothesay
NGR
NS 08843 64497
Coordinates
208843, 664497

Description

Early 19th century (circa 1820?). Symmetrical pair of 2-storey, 3-bay cottages forming low rectangular-plan terrace with shops at ground. Painted harl; painted margins; overhanging eaves. Pitched single storey, rectangular-plan, part whitewashed random rubble outbuilding at rear (No 65).

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION NOS 61 & 67: boarded timber doors at ground in penultimate bays to outer left and right; flanking single windows; single windows at ground in bays to outer right and left respectively; square opening (former sink) at centre. Regularly fenestrated at 1st floor.

12-pane timber casement glazing. Graded grey slate roof; raised skews; coped apex stacks to N and S; coped ridge stack at centre; various circular cans.

INTERIOR: converted for shop/office use; some decorative timber panelling surrounding fireplace; carved thistle motifs; egg-and-dart cornice carving.

NO 65: converted for use as store; single openings in bays to left and right of centre; boarded timber addition to outer right; graded grey slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Group with Nos 51, 53, 55, 57 and 59 High Street. Previously listed as No 67 High Street and shop premises of Dugald H McFie; also shop plumbers. No 65 at rear owned by Bute Estate Office and leased to Nos 61 and 67 (building contractors). Formerly random rubble.

Rothesay is one of Scotland's premier seaside resorts, developed primarily during the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and incorporates an earlier medieval settlement. The town retains a wide range of buildings characteristic of its development as a high status 19th century holiday resort, including a range of fine villas, a Victorian pier and promenade.

The history and development of Rothesay is defined by two major phases. The development of the medieval town, centred on Rothesay Castle, and the later 19th and early 20th century development of the town as a seaside resort. Buildings from this later development, reflect the wealth of the town during its heyday as a tourist destination, and include a range of domestic and commercial architecture of a scale sometimes found in larger burghs. Both the 19th and early 20th century growth of the town, with a particular flourish during the inter-war period, included areas of reclaimed foreshore, particularly along the coast to the east of the town and around the pier and pleasure gardens.

(List description revised as part of Rothesay listing review 2010-11).

References

Bibliography

Appears on Wood's map, 1825; Ordnance Survey map, 1863; F Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p147.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 61 AND 67 HIGH STREET INCLUDING REAR OUTBUILDING (NO 65)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 07:33