Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MILTON OF BUCHANAN, BUCHANAN PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS GATES AND GATEPIERSLB4038

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/09/1973
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Buchanan
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 44321 90368
Coordinates
244321, 690368

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Buchanan Parish Church was designed by John Adam and built by Alexander Gowan, 1761-4. Situated at the centre of a large rectangular gravesyard on an elevated site at the NW outskirts of Milton of Buchanan, the church is aligned E-W with a projecting N laird's aisle, forming a traditional T-plan building with round-arched openings and a moulded eaves cornice. It is an example of the work of a major 18th century Scottish architect.

The symmetrical 3-bay entrance (N) elevation has a projecting gabled entrance wing, slightly remodelled in 1938-9 with the addition of a small flat-roofed canted porch with a key-stoned shallow segmentally-arched keystoned sandstone doorpiece and a similarly detailed rectangular window above; the gable is surmounted by a stone round-arched bellcote (not original, probably later 19th/early 20th century; see Notes) with an ogee roof and cross finial. There is a modest 20th century addition to the NW re-entrant angle, and another to the W gable. The S elevation is 4 bays with round-arched windows. There is a Venetian window in the E gable.

Interior:

The interior was destroyed in a fire of 1938 and subsequently refurbished by Clarke & Bell & JH Craigie. The main body of the church is T-plan with the communion table and pulpit at the E end. At the W end is a classical pilastered timber doorpiece with a round-arched window above. The short N aisle, which contains the Montrose family pew in a sectioned-off corner, is partitioned from the entrance vestibule by a timber-panelled wall. The entrance vestibule also has a timber stair, with turned balusters and newels, leading to the vestry above, which has 3 multi-pane windows overlooking the main body of the church. The joinery dates to the 1938-9 refurbishment, and includes simple timber pews and pilastered timber panelling to dado height, with revealed rubble walls above (the plaster was not replaced following the fire). The ceiling is coombed, with arch-bracing springing from timber corbels.

Materials:

Harled white-painted rubble. Pitched graded slate roof; stone skews and skewputts. Timber multi-pane windows with leaded square quarries of plain glass. Gable-end stack to W gable. 2-leaf timber panelled doors.

Graveyard:

Mainly later 19th and 20th century headstones to the N portion of the graveyard; several 18th and early 19th century table tombs and headstones to the S, and a small W plot containing the graves of members of the Graham family, including the 6th and 7th Dukes of Montrose. Near the entrance gates is a pedestal sundial with copper dial (gnomon missing) of 1922, erected in honour of a former minister.

Boundary Walls, Gates And Gatepiers:

Bounded on all sides by a randon rubble wall. To the N boundary, entrance gateway with wrought iron gates and square-plan ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal copes, double gate to centre flanked by hand gate to either side.

Statement of Special Interest

Buchanan Parish Church was built by the Duke of Montrose to replace a chapel near the Old House of Buchanan, which in its turn had succeeded the use of the original parish church on the island of Inchcailloch, which had ceased to be used c1670.

It underwent some refurbishment in 1825 (SRO, GD220/6/88), including the construction of a new belfry of cast iron.

References

Bibliography

1st edition OS map, 1858-63; Gifford, J. and Walker, F.A., Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), 617; Leaflet published by congregation; NMRS collection, ref NS49SW48; Scottish Record Office, GD220/6/8, GD220/6/50, GD/220/6/88, GD/220/6/836/20 & 22, GD/220/6/836/31, GD/220/6/836/13 &15.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILTON OF BUCHANAN, BUCHANAN PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/01/2022 19:06