Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CAIRNBANK WITH STABLE, COACH HOUSE AND GATEPIERSLB4027

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Duns
NGR
NT 79544 53677
Coordinates
379544, 653677

Description

Later 18th century with later additions and alterations (principally in 1855, when pavilions were added). 2-storey with attic and basement, 3-bay single pile classical house with later single bay flanking pavilions. Squared sandstone with droved ashlar dressings (SE elevation; 3-bay central section); sandstone with polished ashlar dressings to canted windows of pavilions; rubble side with droved ashlar dressings to side and rear elevations; later harled addition to N corner (rear, to outer left). Eaves course to 3-bay central section; base course, band course between levels, cill course to canted windows to pavilions; pilaster quoins, cornice and blocking course to pavilions.

SE ELEVATION: 8 ashlar steps with ornamental cast-iron sweeping handrail to deep-set consoled and pedimented panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight above. "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord" carved on plaque to lintel. Window at 1st floor with pediment above; roundel and pedestal finial to pediment. Window at basement; Venetian window at ground, window at 1st floor above to each of flanking bays. Cornice and blocking course overlapping central section. Pavilion bays slightly advanced; canted window to each with windows at basement and ground.

SW ELEVATION: 2 windows at ground.

NW ELEVATION: half-piended sandstone single storey addition to centre with boarded door to SW return elevation, window to NW. Stair window above (slightly off-line). Irregularly disposed windows to outer bays to each floor (including basement). Bipartite window and boarded porch to right (SW) pavilion. Window to left (NE) pavilion and 2-storey harled addition to outer left with further monopitch single storey addition.

NE ELEVATION: window to centre at basement and to outer right; window at ground to right.

Variety of timber sash and case windows- 12-lying-pane windows to basement of SE elevation; lying-pane windows to canted windows to pavilions and to side elevations. Piended slate roof with swept eaves; pavilions half-piended. Piended canted dormers to outer bays of central 3 bays. Modern skylight to centre and to right pavilion; 2-pane skylight to centre of NW elevation. Ashlar coped stack and rendered stack flanking bay to centre. Rendered shouldered wallhead stack to centre of SW and NE elevation. Rainwater hopper of SW pavilion to rear with 1855.

INTERIOR: hall continuous along SE with fine plasterwork. Panelled doors, shutters and timber stair banisters in situ. High-relief plasterwork to pavilions. White marble chimneypiece to SW pavilion principal room; black marble chimneypiece to NE pavilion principal room.

COACH HOUSE: rubble L-plan building to W of house. NE ELEVATION OF RETURN WALL: 3-bay with single storey 1-bay half-piended addition to outer left. Window at 1st floor to centre; boarded door in bay to left with blinded window at 1st floor above; boarded stable door in bay to left with window at 1st floor above. Boarded door to addition. Engaged drumpier to addition with rounded coping. SE ELEVATION OF RETURN WALL: 2-bay; segmental-arched coach sheds with 2 boarded doors to each, window at 1st floor breaking eaves between bays with skewed gable. NW elevation: window at 1st floor to centre. Later harled monopitch porch to 7 steps to modern door at 1st floor. NW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Stone inserted blinded cruciform with trefoil-ended arms, to centre. Harled stair porch in bay to right. Windows at ground and 1st floor of bay to right. SW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Boarded door at ground to centre with window at 1st floor above. Blinded window and window at 1st floor above in bay to left. Rubble addition projecting from between centre and bay to right with blinded door to outer left of NW return wall with brick segmental-arched lintel. Window at 1st floor of bay to right. Boarded door to outer right at ground. Entrance to addition.

STABLE: (to SE of coach house). Rubble with droved ashlar dressings. SE ELEVATION: blank except window to centre. NE ELEVATION: boarded door just right of centre; window to left of centre; blinded window at 1st floor to centre above. NW ELEVATION: boarded door with 8-pane rectangular fanlight above, left of centre. Window to right. Monopitch single storey addition to outer right. Jerkin-headed slate roof with 2-pane skylights to SE. Truncated ashlar wallhead stack to centre of SW elevation.

GATEPIERS: square-plan coped ashlar gatepiers adjoining sweeping dwarf wall to chamfered square-plan gatepiers flanking drive with ornamental coping.

Statement of Special Interest

The property was built by the owner of Berrywell (to the W), called Robert Ainslie. The house first appears on the 1797 map. The 1st edition OS map shows the house in its auxiliary buildings to be very much as they are today. During the 2nd World War the ground floor was converted into 2 flats, which has subsequently been reverted.

References

Bibliography

Maps consulted: Blackadder Berwickshire, (1797). Thomson Berwickshire, (1821). John Ainslie?s Environs of Edinburgh, Haddington, Dunse, Kelso etc. (1821). Sharp, Greenwood and Fowler ?County of Berwick? (1826). Crawford and Brooke, Map embracing extensive portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwick, Selkirk and Midlothian etc. (circa 1843). 1st edition OS map, (1857).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAIRNBANK WITH STABLE, COACH HOUSE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:55