Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AIRD STREET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION AND ENCLOSING WALLLB40214

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Portsoy
NGR
NJ 59013 65638
Coordinates
359013, 865638

Description

Charles Dawson, Wright, Banff, 1829. Gothick. Rectangular, with pilastered 3-bay S entrance gable. Harled, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Wide giant pilasters divide W front into 3 bays and clasp angles as buttresses, all diminishing slightly in stepped stages to crenellated wallhead,above which they project as pulvinated pinnacles. Centre pointed-headed entrance with renewed studded plank door; blind pointed-head window above; similarly shaped window flank entrance and light gallery in outer 1st floor bays. 3 pointed-headed windows light long W elevation, each with hooks of former shutters remaining. Multi-pane timber sash windows with intersecting astragals in each window apex mirroring leaded pattern applied inside. Single blind window in E elevation, presbytery abutting to right. Simple semi-circular apse (added 1925) projects at N gable (liturgical E).

Simple finial at E gable,cross finial at W; slate roof.

INTERIOR: renovated 1938. Simple galleried interior, gallery reached by circular wooden stair close to entrance. In apse original marble altar with engaged columns and blind traceried front. Altar stands below later panelled and pilaster painted wooden canopy, painted detailing including bishop's mitre, in gold and crimson. Modern veneered altar advanced in chancel. Chancel enclosed by canted wooden communion rail, each section divided by engaged columns and infilled with gilded (perhaps re-used) foliated carvings with grapes, monstrance, chalice, ciborium and censer.

ENCLOSING WALL: church fronted by low rubble wall with spearhead railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Adjoining presbytery listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Scottish Catholic Archives, BL 5/224/7; IM 27/4/23;PL 3/228/8. NEW

STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842) p 188. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF

SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957), pp 116, 156,

pl 20c. Charles McKean, BANFF AND BUCHAN, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1990), p 45.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AIRD STREET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION AND ENCLOSING WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 03:19