Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3 AND 4 GRAHAM'S PLACE, KING STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB39507

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1977
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Perth
NGR
NO 11588 23342
Coordinates
311588, 723342

Description

Circa 1840. Pair of 2-storey and attic semi-detached Classical houses, forming 4-bay block with 2-storey wings to rear (E), forming T-plan. Ashlar with channelled rustication to ground; coursed rubble to rear. Base course, band course, eaves cornice, blocking course. Upper storey windows with moulded, lugged architraves. Later pair of pilastered and segmental-pedimented dormers.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: central paired Doric portico with 2 pairs of columns; entablature with cartouches to centre and sides. 4-panel timber entrance doors with rectangular fanlights above with geometric glazing pattern.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to No 3; plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns to No 4. Grey slates. Stepped skews. Gablehead stacks.

INTERIOR: (No 3 seen, 2009). Original room plan largely extant. Curved staircase with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. Fine decorative plasterwork to main rooms and hall. Some Classical fire surrounds. 4-panel timber interior doors with moulded timber architraves and tall, corniced doorheads.

BOUNDARY WALLS: to W, N and S. To W, low coped rubble garden walls. Further, taller, coped rubble wall to N and S.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group comprising: '1 and 2 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls' and '3 and 4 Graham's Place, King Street, Including Boundary Walls' (see separate listing).

This is an impressive pair of Classical houses with a double Doric portico which form a pair with Nos 1 & 2 Graham's Place (see separate listing). Both blocks are similarly well-detailed with Classical details and their use of ashlar marks them out from the other villas in the area. They are a significant addition to the streetscape of this area of Perth. The design details, their proportions and the high quality of their interior decoration mark them out as being houses of some quality and interest.

The Southern sections of King Street and James Street were laid out in a grid pattern in 1803, to accommodate expansion of the city. The land had previously been a garden for the King James Hospital, which is situated to the North (see separate listing). Individual plots were then sectioned in 1830 by the City architect, W D Mackenzie and feued for housing. Conditions of the feu meant that most of the houses had to be set back at a certain distance from the street, with their gardens to the front. Local information suggests that these four houses were built by a Mr Graham, for his four daughters. They first appear on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1860 and are not apparent on the 1837 Map.

List description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1860. J Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Perth and Kinross, 2007, p622-3. N Haynes, Perth and Kinross, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 2000, p26. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 AND 4 GRAHAM'S PLACE, KING STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/04/2024 05:22