Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARDGOWAN AVENUE HUNTERHILL HOUSELB38919

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/06/1980
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48675 63144
Coordinates
248675, 663144

Description

1902 and 1903. T G Abercrombie, Architect. Arts and Crafts

style. Part 2 storey, part 1 storey, both with attics.

Snecked rubble with ashlar dressings mainly to lower

parts and harl to rest with some timber. North east elevation

has projecting gable at right with canted porch continued up

in harl and timber to mullioned half-lozenge window.

Rounded with coat of arms in gable. 2-storey canted bay to

left with mullioned windows between at ground. South-west

elevation has advanced gabled bay at right with projecting

ground floor window with balcony over French window to 1st

floor. Abutting to right are buttressed paired ashlar

stacks. To left is splayed corner rising to parapeted turret.

2-storey canted bay at left of elevation has 3 ashlar stacks

stacks to right and moulded parapet, extending round to

north gabled end. Mullioned windows at ground between end

bays. South east end 2-storey and attic extension. End wall

has segmentally headed, mullioned window at ground and tower

raised through eaves at angle with pitched roof. Roofs

red-tiled with corniced stacks some harled. Pairs of flat

roofed dormers to both long elevations. Small-paned

glazing survives to north east. Interior mostly intact

including splayed fireplace and stained glass in hall.

Statement of Special Interest

House now divided.

References

Bibliography

DEAN OF GUILD 1902/104 and 1903/23

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDGOWAN AVENUE HUNTERHILL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 23:48