Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CORRAN ESPLANADE, REGENT HOTEL (FORMERLY MARINE HOTEL)LB38826

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/05/1995
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Oban
NGR
NM 85840 30240
Coordinates
185840, 730240

Description

Hotel comprised of 2 buildings of different dates, 1896 and 1936.

1896 BUILDING: 3-storey and attic over raised basement, 2-bay Scots Baronial hotel. Narrow asymmetrical street frontage with deep, triple pile rectangular plan. Annex to centre of S elevation, remains of earlier terrace. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings, droved into arrises. Coursed grey granite rubble S elevation with grey granite dressings.

W (CORRAN ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: 2 bays, double height entrance doorway, arched and architraved, flanked by pilasters, consoles supporting pediment. 2-leaf, 7-panel timber storm doors with coloured leaded glass in traceried fanlight above. Doorway at basement (street) level centre bay, 2-leaf timber door with stud nails and decorative hinges. Paired windows in bay to left at principal, 2nd and 3rd floors, round-

arched to principal floor. Canted oriel window at 1st floor, heavily corbelled with curved brackets above pilasters, crenellated parapet, pedimented window to right. 3rd floor attic; stepped corbel table, right hand window breaking eaves with segmental pediment and ball finial, crowstepped gable to left bay 1 with pedimented windows, slit window in gablehead, ball finial. Pepperpot turret on corner to left, corbelled, with string course, window and conical, slated roof surmounted by weathervane.

N ELEVATION: 6 bays under from 3 gables. Corbel table at 3rd floor stepped at gable centres. Gables crowstepped, with apex stacks. Roll-moulded windows, bipartite and pedimented at 2nd floor. Bracketted cills at 2nd floor, pedimented windows at 3rd floor of gable to right. 3rd floor of centre gable with semi-superimposed dormers, crowsteps and ball finials flanking stack, pedimented datestone to left of centre bay. Stair windows at 2 upper intermediate levels in bay connecting W and centre gables, tripartite with roll-moulded transom and mullions. Pepperpot turret at E corner matching that at W.

S ELEVATION: 3 gables corresponding with N elevation, 3 storeys and attic with irregular fenestration. Gable to left crowstepped, skew copes to others. Stone-gabled, bipartite dormer window set between W and centre gable, stone-gabled dormer window set between centre and E gable. 2-storey and attic wing projecting from centre gable section.

Timber plate glass sash and case windows, grey slate roof, cast-iron down pipes and profiled gutters. Heavily coped gable stacks on N facade with decorative square cans.

INTERIOR: entrance lobby with panelled dado and granolithic floor. Matching benches flanking foot of 11-step stone stair to principal floor with brass handrails. Plaster rococo panel surrounds with pilasters between, swags and decorative cornice above. Principal floor hall, with coloured, leaded glass in S window, dado panelling around and extending up 6-flight timber stair, turned balusters and decorative newels with finials.

1936 BUILDING: James Taylor, 6-storey over raised basement including recent (since 1984) addition at 4th floor with mansard roof above.

8 bays and stair tower at S end. Extension to neighbouring hotel building in International Modern style, of rendered and painted concrete. Main block, rectangular plan, with tightly curved corners and original roof at 4th floor level, overhanging, with tubular handrail. Flanking, diagonally opposed, stair towers originally accessing roof terrace recently heightened by 2 storeys including mansard roof. Projecting single storey wings over basement at W front, parapeted with curved corners. Dining room wing to left, connecting stair to earlier hotel building to right. Planter fronting dining room wing integral with principal elevation. Entrance between wings, accessed by curved stair to terrace with glass-roofed canopy bearing script "Regent Hotel". Delivery pend/car park access to right of

building, crossed by 2 enclosed "bridges" at 1st and 4th floors, to

connect with earlier building.

W (FRONT) ELEVATION: rectangular window openings at bays 1-7, narrow window openings at bay 8. Stair tower windows at intermediate levels. Continuous string courses at cill level of storeys 1, 2, and 3. Applied vertical banding between windows of wings.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 6 storeys including recent addition of upper floors, 8-bay facade with stair tower at N end. Regular grid of rectangular windows openings except for bay 1, 3 windows closely spaced, bay 3, 2 narrow windows on all but ground floor level. Narrow stair tower windows at intermediate levels, tall ground floor kitchen windows.

S STAIR TOWER: 6 storeys, including recently added storey to access new mansard roof. Windows on W face linked vertically by bead moulding. Layered decoration to left of W face.

N STAIR TOWER: 6 storeys with overhanging roof. Adjoining square windows on west and north faces, separated by tiled square column with curved outer corner. Metal Crittal type windows with casements in all original window openings. Curved glass at corners of front wings, metal band dividing, corresponding to canopy height, and rear ground floor (kitchen) windows. Modern grey-slated mansard roof containing

5th floor rooms.

INTERIOR: plain interior remaining much as built except for modern wallpapers and carpets. Timber entrance doors from porch to foyer with simply etched glazing, tubular black handles with chrome brackets. Reception desk with timber surround, black and red glazed tile columns. Clock on wall above with brass numerals and hands, flanked by reamlined horizontal decoration. Original fittings in principal floor male toilets, heavy cubical style urinals and basins with mirrors behind, cream tiles with green banding to walls.

Central section of original boundary wall at W front remaining.

Statement of Special Interest

1930's hotels are few in number compared with surviving roadhouses. The Regent would probably be the best preserved example of its type in Scotland, had it not been increased in height. Stair towers reminiscent of those at the Hoover Building, London. Boundary walls originally with drum gatepiers (removed since 1984) surmounted by globe lamps.

Cantilevered curved canopy over ground floor doorway on west front removed prior to 1980. It is not clear from old photographs whether the lower 2 glazing bars have been removed from the windows of the wings. Stylised architect's perspective shows them in place. The script over the canopy is recent, but in an appropriate style.

References

Bibliography

Charles McKean THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987) p.83.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CORRAN ESPLANADE, REGENT HOTEL (FORMERLY MARINE HOTEL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 22:59