Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

COMBIE STREET, OBAN OLD PARISH CHURCH WITH WALL, GATES AND PIERS (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)LB38817

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/08/1980
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Oban
NGR
NM 86060 29612
Coordinates
186060, 729612

Description

Alexander Shairp, 1893, Romanesque church. Rectangular plan with projecting tower and spire at N end, entrance porches to either side, circular windows in N gable behind. Bull-faced, squared and snecked grey granite walls with yellow ashlar spire, dressings and details.

TOWER: 3-stage with octagonal ashlar spire dentilled at base, topped with weathervane. Lower stage, slit windows with datestone and string course below 2-light round-arched lancet in round-arched panel. Flanking porches, round-arched doorways, timber, 2-leaf doors with ornate iron hinges. Shafts at corners with pyramidal pinnacles, dentilled at base. Middle stage, single round arched lancet on N, W and E faces. Upper stage on battered, saw-tooth coped course, each face with 2-light louvered windows, circular decoration above. Stone stair to gallery within tower.

NAVE: 6-bay hall, round-arched lancets, with dividing saw-tooth coped buttresses. 3-light round-arched lancet in south gable wall, with 3-flue stack at apex. Shafts at N corners with pyramidal pinnacles, dentilled at base. Session room and offices to S gable, double gable with M-roof behind.

INTERIOR: galleried, pitch pine pews with umbrella stands. Panelled gallery across N end of hall, supported on cast-iron columns, with shell motif capitals. Vertical timber wainscoting. Organ by Ingram & Co. of Edinburgh. Octagonal pulpit with blind arcading centred in south wall with matching pitch pine doors to either side, leading to session room and office. Marble font circa 1908. Ceiling coved along E and W walls behind curved timber struts on decorative stone corbels, iron ventilation grilles. Centre window of W wall stained glass, depicting life of Christ, S window, 3 stained glass windows set in round headed arch, hood mould over with floral corbels. Nave and tower windows square leaded lights with coloured glass. Office and session room windows sash and case with leaded glazing. Grey slated roof with terracotta ridges and skew copes to hall and offices. Ventilator plinths at main roof ridge.

GRAVEYARD WALLS, GATES AND PIERS: Graveyard walls of rubble, concrete cope, lowered on west side of church with modern railing on top. Wrought-iron gates with plain, capped piers of black granite. Graveyard contains a variety of headstones including 2 pink granite celtic crosses (late 19th century) and a low cast-iron grave marker with vine leaf decoration 1861. Pink granite obelisk of 1909.

Statement of Special Interest

Replacement for "Chapel of Ease" (1822) and built on the same site, hence earlier gravestones. Existing boundary walls, iron gates and gate-piers appear in a photograph of the old building, suggesting they are contemporary with it. Dean of Guild Court plans record an application by Alexander Shairp in 1893 for Oban Parish Church, Combie Street, for the Trustees of Oban Parish Church.

References

Bibliography

Groome's GAZETTEER. Oban Free High Church guide, John J Murray 1984. Dean of Guild, Argyll & Bute District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COMBIE STREET, OBAN OLD PARISH CHURCH WITH WALL, GATES AND PIERS (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 00:08