Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARGYLL SQUARE, FORMER CLYDESDALE BANKLB38812

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/05/1995
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Oban
NGR
NM 85855 29842
Coordinates
185855, 729842

Description

Baird and Thomson of Glasgow, 1915, with alterations, 1936. 2-storey classical bank building of irregular plan with 3 principal facades to Shore Street, Argyll Square, and Station Road. Angled rear (W) elevation. Red sandstone ashlar, horizontally channelled at ground floor, squared and snecked grey granite rubble, rear elevation blank. Chamfered E corner with main entrance door. Base course, band course at ground floor cill and 1st floor. String course at 1st floor cill, bracketted cornice with parapet above. Ground floor windows with channelled voussoirs and keystone at centres. Architraved and shouldered 1st floor windows with corniced cills.

SHORE STREET (S) ELEVATION: 3 bays with architraved doorway in bay 1.

ARGYLL SQUARE (SE) ELEVATION: 3 bays, architraved, arched and shouldered armorial panel with keystone and carved crest at ground floor bay 1. Bracketted pilaster strips extending from 1st floor cill level to wallhead stack above, flanked by narrow windows. Chamfered corner to right, 1 bay wide, pilastered entrance doorway with scrolled brackets at top supporting open segmental pediment with cartouche and shell motif.

STATION ROAD (NE) ELEVATION: 4 bays with narrower window openings in bay 4. Plate glass timber sash and case windows, altered lower sashes

at ground floor. Grey-slated piended roof, square cast-iron downpipes with shallow hoppers at corners. 3-flue ashlar wallhead stack at SE elevation bay 1, 2-flue ashlar wallhead stacks at N and S corners of rear elevation, all with double-corniced copes.

Statement of Special Interest

Although this building has been left stranded by other demolitions, it continues to enclose the W end of Argyll Square. Cast-iron pillar box adjacent to SE elevation.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild, Argyll and Bute District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARGYLL SQUARE, FORMER CLYDESDALE BANK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:24