Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

29 ALBANY STREET, INCLUDING POLICE STATIONLB38798

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/05/1995
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Oban
NGR
NM 85763 29724
Coordinates
185763, 729724

Description

Later 19th century 2-storey terrace of 5, 3-bay houses. Houses 1 and 2 (W end, police station) by David MacKintosh of Oban 1881, with cell wing to rear by Alexander Shairp 1897, altered by William Todd 1909. House 4 by Charles MacIntyre 1907. Base course, moulded string course at 1st floor, looped over downpipes, cornice at eaves. Bull-faced, grey granite squared and snecked rubble with yellow sandstone dressings, finely stugged, droved at chamfered door openings, window surrounds and splayed sills. Round-arched entrance doorways, with

hoodmoulds over, round-arched windows at 1st floor. Roughly squared rubble and stugged dressings to rear elevation and jail wing.

W (ALBANY STREET) ELEVATION: all as above, except for; No 1, asymmetrical bipartite windows flanking doorway at ground floor, 3 narrow evenly spaced round-arched windows at first floor, to right of centre bay, corresponding with jail wing to rear. Blind fanlight over entrance door. Sandstone quoins at N corner. No 3, symmetrical bipartite windows to outer bays at ground and 1st floors. No 4, near symmetrical 3 bays evenly spaced, additional round-arched doorway to right of bay 3 overlapping sandstone quoins, matching centre door, hoodmould over. No 5, symmetrical 3 bays evenly spaced at 1st floor, early 20th century shopfronts with doorway between, projecting ashlar

cornice above.

N ELEVATION: coursed granite rubble, piend-roofed single storey extension.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: No 1, 2-storey and attic 4-bay jail wing projecting back from terrace. 2-storey stair tower to S elevation of jail wing. Segmental-arched ground (barred to cells) and 1st floor window openings. Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front and rear elevations. 4-panelled timber doors to Albany street, glazed at

No 4a, modern door at No 2. Grey-slated M-roof running length of terrace. Continuous pitch along Albany street elevation, broken by skew copes at S end of Nos 2 and 4. Grey-slated mansard roof to jail wing with slate-hung dormers on N pitch. Piended roofs to rear section of No 2. Wrought-iron bars to ground floor windows of jail. Profiled cast-iron guttering and downpipes to Albany Street elevation and jail wing. Stacks with splayed copes and octagonal cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A well built terrace, evidently built to match (in a more domestic manner) the style of the neighbouring court building.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild, Argyll and Bute District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 29 ALBANY STREET, INCLUDING POLICE STATION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 15:25