Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HOLESTANE FARMHOUSE, STEADING, DAIRY AND OUTBUILDINGSLB3876

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Durisdeer
NGR
NX 87242 99897
Coordinates
287242, 599897

Description

Walter Newall architect, circa 1830. Substantial 2-storey,

3-bay farmhouse, with (later) dairy built against steep slope

to east, extensive and much altered courtyard steading at

lower level beyond. Farmhouse: L-plan, with full-height rear

wing; built of coursed stugged ashlar with polished

dressings; low addition/outbuildings to rear probably circa

1879 and later. South elevation: later corniced square

central porch; sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing;

square 1st floor windows in outer bays. Moulded eaves;

piended slate roof with coped central apex stack set

transversely. West elevation also 3 bays; gabled low addition

(with door) in re-entrant angle. Dairy: rises one storey

above slope (2 lower levels); pink ashlar; garage slapping in

south wall; mullioned east and north-facing windows with

latticed glazing; stacks with corniced square flues; piended

slate roof with axial ventilator; interior of dairy room (now

garage); walls, roof and floors all tiled, latter with

armorial crests; marble slabs against walls mostly now

removed.

Steading: built 1830/1, but substantially altered circa 1880,

probably by Charles Howitt; further alterations/additions

until 20th century, but essentially 4 ranges built around

courtyard with (? circa 1887) cattle courts both within court

and to south, beyond haybarn; detached cartshed to north,

piended square-plan small shed to south east. 2-storey ranges

red and pink ashlar, low masonry ranges mostly whitewashed

rubble, cattle courts and haybarn with cast-iron columns.

Long 2-storey north range has lean-to's at north, gabled tall

central bay with pend and clocks, west wing with forestair to

either flank, east wing with cartshed to courtyard; east

range mostly 2 storeys also: narrow pend on west range leads

to dairy. Cartshed to north built on 2 levels, single storey

with lofts and gable-head dovecot, forestair on each gable;

office now at south end. All roofs slated, some with

ventilators.

Statement of Special Interest

Executed work differs from illustrations published by

Loudon; a degree of licence was used when publishing these

designs

References

Bibliography

Loudon, COTTAGE, FARM AND VILLA ARCHITECTURE 1839. pp.

441-3. Copies of series of plans (1859-1889) in NMRS. SRO

SC15/65/4 p.2. RHP 9682 and 3 GD 224/504/2

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLESTANE FARMHOUSE, STEADING, DAIRY AND OUTBUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 06:35