Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INVERNESS ROAD, NEWTON HOTEL AND FOUNTAINLB38443

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/03/1981
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Nairn
NGR
NH 87413 56469
Coordinates
287413, 856469

Description

Original house, now south block, circa 1800. Additions and

alterations, Alexander Ross, 1874 and 1877. Further

additions, Ross and Macbeth, 1896. Now forming very extensive

range in Scottish Baronial style. South front: originally 2

storeys over raised basement, 3 bays with centre door

approached by flight of steps oversailing raised basement and

wide flanking canted single storey and basement bays, all

crenellated; balustraded porch supported by 2 Roman Doric

columns with 2 heraldic beasts at angles. 1896, canted bays

raised by 2 storeys to form angle towers, centre raised 1

storey, original corbelled crenellation re-used. To east

single storey over basement 1 bay wing; west elevation,

single storey over basement 3 irregular bay wing with centre

5 light canted window flanked by lancets. Entire north facade

added in Scots Baronial style, 3 storey and attic in 2

builds, of which wide western bay is the later portion.

Corbelled and crenellated 2 stage tower with gargoyles;

depressed arched entrance at base; corbelled angle turrets

with conical bellcast roofs and finials; irregular

fenestration.

3 1st floor windows with gabled heads, additional wide

crowstepped gable at east; wide western bay with crenellated

ground floor window. All in coursed stugged rubble with

ashlar dressings.

Slate roofs. Rubble screen walls to east and west with stone

copes and ball finials. Modern single storey glazed extension

to west. Fountain in garden; plinth with decorative cap

supporting 2 basins and crowning cherub.

Statement of Special Interest

Photograph dated 1890 in N.M.R.S. shows south elevation

before it was raised to four storeys.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii, p.2. INVERNESS ADVERTISER,

March 24, 1874. INVERNESS COURIER July 5 1877 and Nov 13

1896. Advertisement for tenders. National Monuments Record of

Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERNESS ROAD, NEWTON HOTEL AND FOUNTAIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:44