Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ROSEHAUGH ESTATE STABLESLB384

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Avoch
NGR
NH 67702 55732
Coordinates
267702, 855732

Description

Large courtyard range of various dates. 1 and 2 storeys;

snecked, dressed red rubble and polished ashlar dressings.

Originally mid 19th century U-plan, re-modelled and extended,

Alexander Ross, 1874. Extensively re-cast in style of William

Flockhart, circa 1900. Of original mid 19th century U-plan

complex east block survives, of rubble with blocked

fenestration. Reconstruction of 1874: north side of square

with short screen walls and rusticated gate piers. West block re-modelled with dormerheads and service courts added.

Circa 1900. English Arts and Crafts. North and west range

rebuilt: gabled 2 storey with prominent battered chimney on

north face, mullioned and bipartite windows. Long south

single storey, 7 bay elevation with off centre advanced 2

storey shaped gable. Eastern 4 bays comprise stables with

crenellation and small mullioned windows; tall, battered

rectangular chimneys. Large squat drum tower SE corner with

conical roof, elaborately carved doorway and flanking window.

Slate roofs. Modern roof over court.

Statement of Special Interest

Later alterations have similarities of style particularly the

chimneys, with Grays Cottage, the Laundry and other English

Vernacular Revival buildings on the estate, in the style of

William Flockhart. Buildings now in use as estate workshops.

References

Bibliography

INVERNESS ADVERTISER, March 28, 1874. (Advertisement for

tenders). Stable block appears U-plan on 1871 OS and in

present form on 1905 OS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSEHAUGH ESTATE STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 00:21