Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DOCK BUILDINGS, OLD CUSTOM HOUSE MERIDIAN STREET INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES ON ERSKINE STREET, FERRY STREET AND CALEDONIA STREETLB38222

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Montrose
NGR
NO 71621 57220
Coordinates
371621, 757220

Description

James Leslie, Harbour Engineer, c1853-60. Large 3-storey, 13-bay classical Custom House and Warehouse with ancillary structures along 3 streets forming quadrangle. Fine sandstone ashlar at ground floor, stugged and pointed at 2nd and 3rd floors, squared and snecked to rear. Base course, band course above ground and 1st floors, eaves band course. Rusticated quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central vehicle entrance, segmental-arched, vermiculated and corniced, warehouse loft door openings centred above at 1st and 2nd floors, and in raised wallhead with open pediment and clock. Bays flanking; 2 inner bays with windows at ground, 1st and 2nd floors, 3rd bay with entrance at ground in rusticated doorpiece with entablature, 4th bay with window at ground, 5th bay with plain doorway at ground, outer bay with window at ground.

W ELEVATION: 3 bays, doorway to centre at ground, 6-panel door, window above at 1st and 2nd floors, windows in bays flanking.

E ELEVATION: 3 bays, former door to centre at ground now boarded window

N ELEVATION: 10-bay rear elevation, bays to extreme left and right blocked.

Formerly 12-pane glazing now in disrepair or boarded. Grey slate piended roof. Brick wallhead stack to NW.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: single storey buildings on Ferry Street and Erskine Street partially demolished or in disrepair. 4-storey and attic, 6-bay warehouse on Caledonian Street; squared and snecked sandstone. Wallhead gable to centre with circular opening, 2-bay gable ends, rear elevation with 1 bay to extreme left. Windows blocked or boarded, grey slate pitched roof, stone skews, skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

The Wet Dock was built in 1843, and the prestigious Custom House reflects the importance of Montrose as a port in the 19th century. The buildings to the rear are called "Grain Store House" on the 1st Edition OS map of 1862.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DOCK BUILDINGS, OLD CUSTOM HOUSE MERIDIAN STREET INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES ON ERSKINE STREET, FERRY STREET AND CALEDONIA STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 06:59