Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALTIC STREET, CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND MEMORIAL HALL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB38196

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Montrose
NGR
NO 71610 57765
Coordinates
371610, 757765

Description

Church 1841, Memorial Hall dated 1877 and 1895. 2-storey rectangular-plan classical church with asymmetrical hall additions extending N along Baltic Street. Sandstone ashlar to front and side, stugged and squared and snecked to other sides and rear. Entrance facade with base course, band course above ground floor, 1st floor cill cornice, eaves cornice and corniced parapet. Full width pediment with raised central pilastered and pedimented feature.

CHURCH:

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, symmetrical gable ended entrance front. Central pilastered porch with entablature, multi-panelled 2-leaf doors, flanking porch with consoled and pedimented heads, 2 leaded lights in timber frame of slender columnar mullion and round arches, slender transom astragal. 1st floor symmetrical but windows without pedimented heads. Full-width pedimented wallhead with octagonal end dies, raised centre bay bisecting pediment with paired pilasters framing central glazed oculus and supporting triglyph frieze, cornice and miniature pediment with flanking octagonal dies with facetted dome caps.

W ELEVATION: 4 bays, regular fenestration, raised margins.

E ELEVATION: 4 bays, regular fenestration, raised margins.

N ELEVATION: adjoining Memorial Hall.

MEMORIAL HALL.

W (PRINCIPAL) HALL: 2 sections; 2-storey block to left, single storey entrance link with church to centre. Single storey building; 4 bays, central porch, corner pilasters, carved panel above doorway inscribed "Congregational Church Memorial Hall 1877", cornice and blocking course above with small raised panel. 2 stone steps to 2-leaf panelled doors, rectangular 2-pane fanlight. Door in return to right. 2 windows flanking porch with lugged, architraved margins. Moulded wallhead forming cornice with cast-iron guttering.

2-storey block; 3 bays, 2 outer bays advanced, base course, band course above ground floor, cornice, parapet and pediment. Centre bay with tripartite windows in pilaster arcade at ground and 1st floors. Architraved windows at ground floor in outer bays, those at 1st floor blind with carved inscriptions "Congregational Church Memorial Hall" and "Father". Centre bay extends to divided pediment, fluted pilasters with small pediment capitals framing carved, keystoned, depressed arch panel dated "11th July 1895".

N ELEVATION: single bay of 2-light windows off-set to left at ground and 1st floors.

E ELEVATION: advanced, triple gable ended, single storey wing to left, 2 windows to centre bay, single window in bay to left, bipartite and door in return to left, bipartite in return to right. 2-storey, 3-bay block to right; bay to left in shallow advance with low 2-storey projection, door at ground and window above and single bay return to right, window in high 1st floor above projection. 2 bays to right with windows at ground and 1st floors, outer bay forming splayed corner.

Timber sash and case windows; 20-pane to E and W of church, large 4-pane to central section of hall, plate glass elsewhere. Grey slate piended roofs. 2 shouldered and corniced stacks to N, 2 brick gablehead stacks to triple gable, small corniced ridge stack to N end of centre section, ventilators to N ridge.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped stone dwarf wall fronting church entrance. Cast-iron post and railing to Hall entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

The chapel held its first service on 19th December 1841, and the Memorial Hall was opened on 21st March 1878, and the additions dated 1895 are the work of the Montrose architect John Sim. Some alterations to the chapel date from the 1870's, possibly including the porch. Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild Court records, 1893. YEARBOOK OF THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, pp35-7, p47.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALTIC STREET, CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND MEMORIAL HALL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 03:57