Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DUNNYGASK HOUSE, UPPER STEELEND, DUNFERMLINE (EXCLUDING SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO EAST AND CONSERVATORY TO SOUTH)LB3771

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 05963 92939
Coordinates
305963, 692939

Description

Circa 1800 with later additions and incorporating earlier fabric, probably from an earlier house on same site. The house includes a date stone and lintel, both dated 1683. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled farmhouse with scrolled skewputts. Tooled rubble with ashlar eaves course, window margins and straight quoins. Main door to centre of south elevation with moulded architrave surround. Small attic windows at gable ends (window to west gable blocked). Single storey lean-to outshot to north elevation: the door to right has a shield date stone with thistle finial, inscribed 1683 and initialled 'RD'. The window lintel in the left return is inscribed 'R 1683 D'. Single story, rubble lean-to porch addition to north. Mid 20th century, single storey, rubble garage addition to west gable.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Red concrete tile with 2 rooflights to south elevation. Coped and corniced ashlar end stacks with circular clay cans.

The interior was seen in 2013. There is a cantilevered staircase with finely turned timber handrail, rising to attic level. Some early 19th century cornicing survives to principal rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

Dunnygask House, dating from around 1800, is a substantial Improvement Period farmhouse constructed from traditional local materials. The present house appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1855. The site is marked as 'Tunigask' on Blaeu's 1654 map and 'Tinnygask' on the 1828 Counties of Fife Map, indicating that the site was occupied from at least the mid 17th century by an earlier farmstead or dwelling of sufficient distinction to merit inclusion in early map recording of this area. A carved date stone and lintel, both dated 1683, are incorporated into the present house and are likely to have been part of the earlier house on the site, adding to its interest.

The south Fife landscape is characterised by its rich heritage of agricultural buildings and they are a key part of the architectural character of the area. Located on high hill-side ground with open views of the Firth of Forth, Dunnygask House contributes to this interest. The area prospered when improvements to farming methods increased productivity and profit, towards the end of the 18th century. The scrolled skews, narrow quoins, moulded doorpiece, ashlar margins and cantilevered staircase at Dunnygask are representative of quality Fife architecture of the late 18th or early 19th century. The stone ridges (thackstanes) at the base of each chimneystack show that the house would originally have been thatched.

The remains of a former steading range are intervisible to the west, adding to the contextual historic interest of the property.

The single storey extension to the east gable and the timber conservatory adjoining the south elevation are later 20th century additions and do not meet the criteria for listing at the time of the update to the listed building record (2014).

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, The Sherifdome Of Fyfe, 1654.

J Thomson (1800) The General View of the Agriculture of the County of Fife.

T Sharp, C Greenwood, W Fowler, Map Of The Counties Of Fife And Kinross (1828).

Ordnance Survey (1855) 25 mile to the Inch, London: Ordnance Survey.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNNYGASK HOUSE, UPPER STEELEND, DUNFERMLINE (EXCLUDING SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION TO EAST AND CONSERVATORY TO SOUTH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 22:44