Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERDOUR ROAD, STARLEY HALL WITH OUTBUILDINGS, TERRACE WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGSLB3694

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/03/1995
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Burntisland
NGR
NT 21239 85980
Coordinates
321239, 685980

Description

Peddie and Kinnear, 1861. 2-storey with basement and attic, Scots Baronial house on ground falling to S. Square and corner towers and turrets, corbel table with open corbelled turrets, crenellated archway with coat-of-arms. Squared and snecked sandstone, polished ashlar quoins and dressings; base course, band course and eaves cornice; architraved doors and windows, segmental headed openings, gunloops, stone transoms and mullions, stop-chamfered arrises.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tripartite doorway, 2-leaf panelled door with 3-pane fanlight in crowstepped gable at centre, rounded corner to right with corbel at 1st floor, window in bay to left of centre below corbel course; 1st floor with window in gablehead and further window with dormerhead breaking eaves to left. Recess to right of centre, stone steps to basement with door flanked by windows, full-height modern stack in re-entrant with adjacent window to right at ground floor, narrow window beyond and further window to outer right; 1st floor with carved tablet to left, window in bay to outer right, finialled dormer window above and large rooflight.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay, adjoining corner tower (see below) at outer left. Bipartite window at centre ground, slightly advanced finialled lop-sided gable with rounded corners at ground to right with window (converted from door) set into architraved doorcase below blind tablet and stepped corbel to slightly jettied 1st floor with window at centre below finialled segmental pediment with sunburst moulding in gablehead with thistle finial; modern fire escape door to left of centre (converted window?) in crowstepped gable. Fire escape across left bay to bipartite window at centre (left side converted to part-glazed door) with gabled dormerhead breaking eaves at 1st floor, small blind tablet in gablehead to left of centre above fanlit door.

SE CORNER TOWER: 3-storey. Blind at ground with 5-stage round corbel supporting round quadripartite window at 1st floor, corbelled to square above; with window at centre and steeply pitched gable with small moulded tablet in gablehead.

S ELEVATION: crowstepped chimneyheaded gable to 3-storey with attic tower at centre. Lower 3-storey wing to right and gabled corner tower (see above) to outer right. 5-storey turret in re-entrant to left adjoining single storey stepped-back link section with slightly advanced 2-storey with attic wing beyond adjoining roofless turret at outer left.

Blind moulded panel, balustraded stone balcony on moulded consoles and rounded corners corbelled to square below bartizans to centre tower. Canted window on deep corbel below 2 dormerheaded windows to outer right wing. Gunloop windows, corbelled top floor and finialled bellcast roof to turret. Lop-sided crowstepped gable and finialled dormer windows, trefoil mouldings and gunloop windows to left wing.

2-, 6- and 10-pane glazing pattern and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey and fish-scale pattern slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar stacks, ashlar coped skews and skewputts, decorative stone and cast-iron finials.

INTERIOR: contemporary decoration retained including marble chimneypieces and fine plaster cornices. Niches in original entrance hall, inner hallway with marble chimneypiece surmounted by panel with coat-of-arms, panelled ceiling with decorative cornicing, scale-and-platt staircase (boarded) with timber newel posts, handrail and finials, 6-pane lantern over stairwell. Drawing room with elaborate plasterwork cornicing extending into rounded window and centre rose; decorative cornicing to dining room; marble chimneypieces and some working shutters. Decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail to top of turret stair.

OUTBUILDINGS: single storey slated rubble outhouse (converted stable), blocked cart arch with flanking doors (blocked to left) in irregular pair of crowstepped gables at centre below blind tablet in large gablehead to left and window in gablehead to right; blind bay to outer right (projecting extension demolished prior to survey); door and window to left of centre. Crenellated wall of coped stugged ashlar with bull-faced dressings to segmental-headed arch with mask keystone and cast-iron(?) coat-of-arms on raised centre stone; small hollow tower with cross-gunloop and quatrefoil opening to N end of wall.

TERRACE WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low semicircular-coped terrace wall punctuated with urn stands. Rubble boundary walls to orchard, coped rubble boundary walls with inset cast-iron railings to road. Stop-chamfered coped ashlar gatepiers with ball(?) finials.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1861 the ground at Starley Hall was feued by the Earl of Morton to James Taylor, merchant of Leith for the erection of a dwelling house. The building was completed by 1867. Livingstone was informed by the daughter of Dr Landale who built the Binn House by Peddie and Kinnear that Starley Hall was a replica. The Drinking Fountain at Links Place was presented to the town by James Taylor. By 1893 the proprietor was Rev Oscar Laurie, Roffey, Horsham, Sussex who left the property to his daughters. Sold to Fife County Council in 1954, the Hall was converted to a home for the elderly, closing in 1980 and re-opening in 1981 as an independent residential school which it is now (1994). Groome links Starley Hall with Colinswell and Greenmount as "handsome modern mansions".

References

Bibliography

R Livingstone FIFE FREE PRESS 13.12.75. Valuation Rolls. Groome's GAZETTEER (1882).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR ROAD, STARLEY HALL WITH OUTBUILDINGS, TERRACE WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 12:32