Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

VANTAGE FARM FORDELL ESTATE COACH HOUSE, DAIRY, DAIRY COTTAGE, GRANARY AND GATE PIERSLB3662

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/08/1984
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dalgety
NGR
NT 15040 85601
Coordinates
315040, 685601

Description

Coachhouse: 18th century, remodelled 1873 for G W Mercer-

Henderson. Long 2-storey range set into slope. Squared and

tooled rubble with polished dressings. Courtyard front

remodelled 1873; west part of 2-storey range with 2 carriage

houses 1 with arched head, both with herring-bone boarded

doors, 2 1st floor windows break eaves with segment

dormer-heads, corbelled centre arched window (date stone

below) with clockface in rope moulded frame set into raised

decoratively consoled, pedimented and finialled panel. 5

bays to east with 1 modern stapping with ground floor. Rear

elevation: west section earliest with small sash and case

windows and flyover steps to door on 1st floor. Slightly

later addition at east with regularly placed sash and case

windows. Corniced stacks (1875), slate roof Granary: circa

1830, attached to east gable of coachhouse, long 2 storey

bank barn. Stugged coursers. Segemental arch in SW elevation

opening to courtyard, large entrance to loft on N gable

reached by ramp. Gable head finials (missing at N). Dairy

cottage: 1862, attached to W gable of coachhouse. Single-

storey, 3-bay house, sash and case windows; parallel dairy

block to rear with roof ventilator; 2 west facing gables

with blind oculi. Corniced stack to cottage, elaborate date

panel on dairy. 2 drum gate-piers with bell-cast caps and

spiked cast-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of substantial improve farm steading. Cattle courts

subsiduary range and engine house now substantial altered

References

Bibliography

Groome: Ordnance Gazetteer, vol 3, p. 34

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to VANTAGE FARM FORDELL ESTATE COACH HOUSE, DAIRY, DAIRY COTTAGE, GRANARY AND GATE PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:08