Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR HOUSE ENTRANCE GATEWAY INCLUDING CONNECTING WALLS WITH TERMINATING OBELISKSLB3639

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
02/05/2004
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Aberdour (Fife)
NGR
NT 19093 85345
Coordinates
319093, 685345

Description

18th century with later alterations. Pair of large, ashlar, square-plan, fluted gatepiers; banded rustication, moulded, corniced cap surmounted by ball finial. Flanking rebuilt connecting rubble walls to N and E, coped, ashlar long and short quoins to angle, surmounted by small, squat obelisk.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: B-Group with Aberdour House and Aberdour House Obelisk, Cuttlehill. It is documented that when Robert Cunningham was employed to build Aberdour House Obelisk at Cuttlehill (see separate listing) in 1745, he also worked on 6 gatepiers, it is probable that from the 6, these are a surviving pair. The gates have been slightly moved from their original position when the house was refurbished in the early 1990s, the connecting walls have been substantially altered and rebuilt. The connecting wall to the N attaches to the NE boundary wall of Aberdour House which terminates at the Dour Burn. The wall is built of random rubble with ashlar coping. Half way along the wall there are a pair of ashlar, rusticated gatepiers, these too could have been the work of Robert Cunningham in 1745, the entrance opening is now blocked with breeze blocks (2002). To the far NE there is evidence of 2 blocked windows. In 1890 with the coming of the railway line to Aberdour the entrance to Aberdour Castle (see separate listing) was realigned, the boundary wall of Aberdour House (see separate listing) was used to create the new approach to castle, it is for this reason that the wall is now associated with the castle and thus designated as a scheduled monument with the castle.

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: 1st edition (FIFE) Ordnance Survey map (1856). RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS OF FIFE, KINROSS AND CLACKMANNAN (1933) p17. J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND FIFE ( 1992) p65.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR HOUSE ENTRANCE GATEWAY INCLUDING CONNECTING WALLS WITH TERMINATING OBELISKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:51