Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ABERDOUR, CUTTLEHILL, ABERDOUR HOUSE OBELISKLB3638

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/05/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Aberdour (Fife)
NGR
NT 19205 85156
Coordinates
319205, 685156

Description

1744-1745. 40-foot high ashlar obelisk prominently located to crown of Cuttlehill. Square stone base, square-plan pedestal; moulded base, cornice to upper section surmounted by obelisk.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: B-Group with Aberdour House and Aberdour House Entrance Gateway. Under the instruction of the 13th Earl of Morton work began on the obelisk in 1744 and was completed in 1745. It was sited on Cuttlehill to act as a landmark visible from the Earl's Dalmahoy estate across the Forth. The Obelisk lies southwest of Aberdour Castle (see separate listing) and Aberdour House (see separate listing), Aberdour House was originally known as Cuttlehill House and became the Morton's residence after they left the Castle in 1725. Work commenced on the obelisk with a local carpenter spending 3 days fixing a mast and scaffolding to the proposed site, the local smith supplied nails for the scaffold and also a hoist. Robert Cunningham is attributed as the mason, it is recorded that 676 of "broached work" and 88ft of moulded work was quarried at a cost of 1s. per foot. In 1745 it is documented that the local smith was paid for 2 chisels which were needed to take down the scaffolding.

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: 1st edition (Fife) Ordnance Survey map (1856). M R Apted, ABERDOUR CASTLE MINISTRY OF PUBLIC BUILDINGS AND WORKS OFFICIAL GUIDE BOOK (1966) p21. Niall MacDonald, ABERDOUR THE PAST HUNDRED YEARS (1981).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR, CUTTLEHILL, ABERDOUR HOUSE OBELISK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 04:23