Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3, 5 AND 7 ST MARNOCK STREET AND 113 - 119 (ODD NUMBERS) KING STREETLB35962

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
03/07/1980
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 42787 37722
Coordinates
242787, 637722

Description

Mid 19th century. 3-storey, 6-bay by 6-bay, classical corner retail and commercial building. Painted, stugged ashlar and polished dressings. Giant angle pilasters. Raised window architraves and margins, some with entablatures. Cornice and blocking course.

S (ST MARNOCK STREET) ELEVATION: to 1st bay, extending to beginning of 2nd bay: modern shop front with central door and window to flanks. From 2nd to 4th bays: pilastered door surround off centre left, small high square window to left flank; matching paired windows to right flank. To 5th & 6th bays: large shop window with internal paired support columns, shop fascia above. Band course forming sills of 6 regularly placed 1st floor windows with entablatures. To 2nd floor, matching architraved windows. Cornice and blocking course meeting angle pilasters.

E (KING STREET) ELEVATION: to 1st & 2nd bays: recessed central door with shop window to flanks. End of 2nd bay to beginning of 4th bay: boarded shop front. To bays 4 to 6: door with security grilled shop window to flanks. Modern fascias surmounting all shop fronts. Band course forming sills of 6 regularly placed 1st floor windows with entablatures. To 2nd floor, matching architraved windows. Cornice and blocking course meeting angle pilasters.

N ELEVATION: adjoining building of similar height and design in King Street, shared stack.

W (SANDBED STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bays, pebble-dashed giant end pilaster to left.

Replacement windows to upper floors: 3-pane at 1st floor, single upper pane, 2 vertical panes to lower sash; to 2nd floor, single windows divided almost equally into 4-panes. Modern plate glass windows to ground floor shops. Piended grey slate roof to all, aluminium ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, downpipes with decorative hoppers to centres of principal elevations.

INTERIOR: ground floor now modern fitted shops; upper floors used for storage and offices, most refurbished.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with the former Borland Seed Warehouse. The site of this building is prominent within the townscape. The W elevation of this property is sited on Sandbed Street, the former main thoroughfare of the town and overlooks the Kilmarnock Water towards the former site of Kilmarnock House and St Marnock Place The block site of this building had been in use from around 1832, although the building we now see is slightly later than this. The 1849 map shows a building standing in this position. The ground floor has always been for retail and commercial use, and the Sandbed Street part of the building was for a long time a public house. The principal elevations form the only surviving angle block between St Marnock Street and King Street. Originally opposite was the King Street U.P Church but this has been demolished and replaced by some late 20th century shops and offices.

References

Bibliography

Extract from Peter Sturrock, THE ESTATE OF KILMARNOCK BELONGING TO HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF PORTLAND (1849) showing building. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1857) showing building. Frank Beattie, STREETS & NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) pp64-65.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3, 5 AND 7 ST MARNOCK STREET AND 113 - 119 (ODD NUMBERS) KING STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 02:09