Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST MARNOCK STREET, ST MARNOCK'S PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)LB35961

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/07/1980
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 42671 37694
Coordinates
242671, 637694

Description

James Ingram, 1836. Rectangular plan, Perpendicular Gothic, 6-bay church with centrally placed 4-stage tower to N gable. Pink sandstone with base and string course. Angle, diagonal and octagonal clasping buttresses.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 2-leaf, gothic panelled door to ground, recessed under pointed arch with moulded reveals and crocketed, ogival hood-mould. Tower breaking gablehead: tall window with reticulated tracery set under square-panelled head; clock in lozenge panel above; louvered opening with panel tracery and ogival hood-mould in upper stage; battlemented parapet with square angle pinnacles. Battlemented gable flanking tower with tall, panel-traceried windows below; octagonal, blind panelled, terminal buttresses with crocketed and finialled caps.

E ELEVATION: 5 similarly traceried windows; timber gothic door to bay 6 with hood-mould and blind lancets above.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 geometric traceried windows with central window tallest; gablehead finial removed, diagonally placed angle buttress & finials remain; later single storey addition present.

W ELEVATION: 5 similarly traceried windows; timber gothic door to bay 1 with hood-mould and blind lancets above.

Stained glass of square quarry to most windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: gothic revival interior with original lectern & organ.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The architect was local man James Ingram, who planned many buildings within Kilmarnock during the mid-late 19th century. This was his first major piece of work. He was later in practise with his son Robert Samson Ingram at 114 King Street. The church dates from 1836 and cost ?5000 including the tower. It was built primarily as a chapel of ease and contained 1736 sittings. The Commissioner's Report said "It is intended to apply to the presbytery to assign a parochial district to it, when an endowment is got for a minister." It was finally constituted a quoad sacra church in 1862. Internally, the organ cost ?350 and was a gift from John Gilmour, Esq. of Elmbank House (which was later demolished to provide land for the Dick Institute). Not long after the church opened, rumours began to circulate with regard to the safety of the structure. The building is wide and it was assumed the roof was too heavy and wide to be supported properly. Repair and strengthening work was carried out to the centre, which fuelled rumours of an imminent structural collapse. One Sunday during a service conducted by Rev. David Strong, a gale sent a tree crashing into a sidewall of the church and the main doors burst open with the storm. The congregation panicked, especially as someone imagined they saw smoke in the session house and, like the Laigh Kirk 35 years previously, a stampede occurred. Multiple deaths were averted due to Rev. Strong's pulpit address urging calm. No injuries were reported (unlike the Laigh Kirk where 30 people died) and the structure still survives a century and a half later.

References

Bibliography

Peter Sturrock, THE ESTATE OF KILMARNOCK BELONGING TO HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF PORTLAND (1849) showing the church opposite Kilmarnock House; A Fullarton, TOPOGRAPHICAL, STATISTICAL & HISTORICAL GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL.II (1851) p124; Francis Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL. IV (1883) p375; George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, 1560 - 1843 (1957) p141 & 188; J Strawhorn & K Andrew, DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE (1988) p195; John Malkin, PICTORIAL HISTORY OF KILMARNOCK (1989) p17; Rob Close, AYRSHIRE & ARRAN ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p105; Frank Beattie, STREETS & NEUKS, OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) pp64-5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MARNOCK STREET, ST MARNOCK'S PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 20:44