Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S GLENCAIRN CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING CHURCHYARD AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB35959

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
03/07/1980
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 42986 37268
Coordinates
242986, 637268

Description

Possibly James Ingram, 1841; renovations and additions, 1912. Greek Revival hall kirk with temple front, later rectangular-plan extension to rear and 2-stage bellcote. Ashlar with polished dressings. Base and eaves course. Angle and window margins.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: temple front with angle pilasters and paired full-height Doric pilasters flanking entrance and supporting entablature and shallow pediment. Low 2-stage, square bellcote behind with curved angles above 1st cornice, round-arched louvres with panelled pilasters and pediments above to each face, dome and weathervane surmounting. Central entrance with 2-leaf semi-glazed door, paired pilasters to flanks containing single light; 3 lights to gallery above divided by pilasters. Cornice and blocking course over outer bays.

NW ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 4-bay elevation with door to 4th bay on ground floor, recessed rear extension to far left.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: blind elevation with apsed chancel to centre containing 2 regularly placed lights; later 2-storey vestry addition to right with blind elevations to rear and left return; right return: steps with stone wing walls and wrought-iron rails leading to entrance door at ground floor right with bipartite window to left, pair of bipartite windows to 1st floor.

SE ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 4-bay elevation with door to 1st bay on ground floor; recessed blind wall to right.

2 and 3 pane timber windows with square stained glass quarry to interior. Protective exterior grilles to most. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

CHURCH YARD & BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls with shaped copes and plain wrought-iron railings, pair of square columned gateposts with projecting flat caps and plain wrought-iron gates to SW elevation. Coursed ashlar wings walls with square gatepiers with projecting neck course and cushion caps to NW entrance. Rubble wall with rounded copes and pair of square gatepiers with projecting cushion caps to SE. Remnants of gas lamp stands to front drive. STONES AND MONUMENTS: many elaborate mid to late 19th century funerary monuments including vases and urns, gabled gothic revival tombs, classical obelisks and table grave stones (see NOTES).

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with St Andrew's Church Hall (listed separately). Ecclesiastical building in use as such. It is the 4th oldest ecclesiastical building in Kilmarnock. Formerly the church was known as St Andrew's Church in Richardland Road. New housing has since cut the surrounding streets, and the Church is now found on St Andrew's Street and encompassed within an estate. Richardland Road has since disappeared. The church was built primarily as a chapel of ease at a cost of ?1700, adjacent to a burying-ground that had opened in 1837 to ease crowding at the Laigh Kirk burial ground, which had practically closed by 1850. The new church contained 1093 sittings and the burial ground around it opened in 1856. It became a quoad sacra church in 1868. The burial ground was the only common one until a field was bought in Holehouse Road and a new cemetery was created. St Andrew's has some famous interments including Alexander Geddes, Governor of the town jail and Johnnie Walker of the whisky empire. There are many fine gravestones surviving. The hall was built on land adjacent to the church, which itself was extended in 1912.

References

Bibliography

Peter Sturrock, THE ESTATE OF KILMARNOCK BELONGING TO HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF PORTLAND (1849) showing the church; Kilmarnock 6"/mile ORDNANCE SURVEY (1857) map showing St Andrew's Church and St Andrew's Cemetery; Francis Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (Vol IV) p375; 6"/mile ORDNANCE SURVEY (1896) map showing the newly constructed St Andrew's Hall; George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) p249; Dick Institute: Local History Collection Folder 103. Frank Beattie, STREETS AND NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) p.64.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S GLENCAIRN CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING CHURCHYARD AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:09