Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABERDOUR, 18 MANSE STREET, THE MANSELB3591

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/05/1973
Supplementary Information Updated
05/01/2021
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Aberdour (Fife)
NGR
NT 19062 85004
Coordinates
319062, 685004

Description

Robert Burn, 1803. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan house (former manse) with setback single storey, single bay wings. Coursed rubble, droved long and short margins to openings, droved quoins. Base course, segmental arches to 1st and 3rd bay ground floor windows, moulded cornice, parapet with raised central section.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Slightly advanced central entrance bay. Centred arched doorway with corniced and pilastered doorpiece. Rectangular recessed windows to 1st and 3rd bay. Tripartite window above door, flanking windows to outer bays. Set far back flanking single storey, single bay wings, centred window.

SW ELEVATION: wing to left, window to centre and right at ground. 1st floor window to right. 2 centred inserted attic windows.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced modern stair tower to central bay; raised centred door, window above. Original house setback to1st and 3rd bay; centred ground floor and 1st floor window to each, inserted small ground floor window to left of 3rd bay. Slightly advanced of original house flanking single bay, single storey wings.

NE ELEVATION: wing to right, window to left. 2 centred inserted attic windows.

Modern door, flanking glass panels, semicircular fanlight above. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Two canted, piended dormer windows to SE elevation. Pitched, grey slate roof. Raised, coped ashlar skews. Droved ashlar corniced gable apex stacks with circular cans. Piended grey slate roofs to single storey, single bay wings.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: The Manse was built after the minister for the parish church, a Reverend William Bryce, complained vehemently about the setting and conditions of the accommodation he was living in, "After having passed another winter in the Manse and found it very uncomfortable and even prejudicial to my health, may I request your ladyship will have the goodness to lay the following scheme for building a new one before Lord Morton" (D Rutherford). It is even recorded that Bryce offered #100 of his own money to speed the process of the house being built. The land which the house was built upon and the surrounding area was acquired by the 11th Earl of Morton in 1725 and lies to the S of the village next to the coastline. It was developed from the late 18th to late 19th century and appears on maps of this date as 'New Town'. Bryce notes in a letter to the Earl of Morton that the reason for relocating was also due to the fact that the old manse "was in the heart of a dirty village", highlighting that the 'New Town' was envisaged as being an improved neighbourhood. In the late 20th century the house was converted to 3 flats, the principal elevation remains unchanged however the rear has been altered with the addition of a large central stair tower.

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: 1st edition (Fife) Ordnance Survey map (1856). N MacDonald, ABERDOUR (1981) p7. J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND FIFE (1992) p65. D Rutherford, ST FILAN'S CHURCH ABERDOUR (1997) pp22,23.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERDOUR, 18 MANSE STREET, THE MANSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:30