The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
CANONBIE VILLAGE, RIVERSIDE INNLB3499
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- NY 39435 76575
- 339435, 576575
Appearance suggests early 19th century, but several building
phases, earliest perhaps in first half 18th century; rear wing
extended mid 19th century. L-plan, essentially 2 narrow ranges
in double-pile with twin-gabled E elevation, roof piended at W
and continued over rear wing. 2 storeys, with altered/added low
flanking wings. Rubble-built (rear wing, at least, built of river
bank pebbles) with ashlar/rubble dressings; all whitewashed
with painted ashlar margins.
S ELEVATION: earliest surviving work probably in 3-bay part
nearest E; latter raised at least once, 2 bays added left to
form symmetrical 5-bay front with central painted and
badly-weathered doric-columned doorpiece (glazed modern door);
sash windows throughout in chamfered margins and with 12-pane
glazing pattern. Corniced stacks over original end walls.
Slate roofs. N elevation altered with some brick-margined
openings; door formerly at ground and at 1st floor - original
loft - level in re-entrant angle.
Statement of Special Interest
Cottage at N not included in listing.
Formerly known as "Forge"; on site of an 18th century forge,
and presumably incorporates some associated buildings.
New Statistical Account notices (1836) Forge as the occasional
residence of Pultney Main.
Some slag incorporated in garden rockery.
1718 plan in SRO (RHP 9452/42) gives sketch elevation of
2 buildings at "Forge" and GD 224/406/9/11 refers to lease
of "the Forge" in 1712.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.