Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 33303 37163
333303, 637163


1828 with 1967 alterations. 2-storey, 5-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan, piended roof, Regency style house with slightly advanced central bays and later decorative ironwork trellis balconettes and door surround. Painted render with painted stone window margins and margined quoins. Small chamfered window to rear upper left. Carved stone carriage bollards to N corners. Small late 20th century piended porch to rear.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows, with lying panes to ground floor. 20th century timber casements to rear. Two-leaf timber entrance door. Grey slate roof, concrete ridges. Small wallhead stack to rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Leithen House is a handsome earlier 19th century dwelling prominently sited to the main street of the old town centre area of Innerleithen and adjacent to the 18th century Innerleithen Old Bridge (see separate listing).

The building was formerly known as Marmion House and Buchan notes that it was built in 1828 by merchant Robert Boyd with a shop attached; Leithen road is marked as Marmion Place on the first edition map. It was at some time an inn and local folklore maintains that Sir Walter Scott wrote the opening lines of 'Marmion House' within the building.

A photograph of 1860 showing the St. Ronan's Games being held in front of the building shows it with a further bay to the S, now demolished. This was possibly the attached shop, which at one time also housed a laundry. This photograph also suggests that the building was formerly two dwellings with a central entrance pend.

Leithen House was derelict for some time and was rebuilt with new interior by Murray and Burrell circa 1967. Some original details survive to the rear including an interesting shaped window to the upper left and a pair of carved stone bollards protecting the N corners of the building from the former road.

Single flat roofed garage to SE corner of garden.

List description revised 2008.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855). Thomas Dobson, Reminiscences of Innerleithen and Traquair, (1896). J W Buchan, History of Peebleshire (Vol III) (1925) p373. Kitty Cruft, Buildings of Scotland, Borders (2006), p401.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LEITHEN ROAD, LEITHEN HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 01/06/2023 00:45